Chapter 29: Liz and Wang Wu

"I'm so glad you're alright, both of you!" 

Liz smiled at Jack and bowed to Wang Wu. They all were gathered in Wang Wu's room. He, along with his private servant Jack, had already been released from the dungeon and now was relaxing in his chamber.

"Well, the bread they were giving us in the dungeon had an unusual flavour. Such soft and delicious pieces were brought only to us two. Jack told me it tasted like those of Frankheim." Wu faintly smiled at Liz, as if giving a hint. "I'd say it helped us greatly not to lose our minds in there."

"I did all I could, Your Highness... I could not bear the thought of your being dumped in there just like that when I knew of your innocence."

"From now on, Miss Schettner, for you I'll just be Wang Wu."

The prince took her hand and landed a soft kiss upon it. Liz blushed and cast her eyes down.

"I'm honoured."

"Jack has also told me you have a great voice."

Liz's cheeks flushed even more upon hearing such praise.

"I was an opera singer back home in Frankheim. I can dance as well as sing, and play various instruments."

"Like... guitar and flute?"

"Yes, and drums too."

"Amazing! Can I please ask you to demonstrate your singing? I... I'd like to offer you a place in my group of performers. We will be celebrating His Majesty's fifty-eighth birthday in two days, and I'd like to have some excellent singers and dancers in my team."

Liz widened her eyes - his team? He meant he was a singer and a dancer too?!

"I couldn't imagine the Snake Prince would be a performer himself!"

"Haha! Well, I am not called the Snake Prince only because my words can bite." Wu grinned and caressed her on the hair. "I am the Snake Prince mainly because I have tamed snakes since my childhood with the charm of my flute, and women with the charm of my voice."

"Oh, quite a brave statement, Prince Wu!" Liz chuckled. "Well then, let's see what kind of a charmer you truly are..."

Wu glared at Jack, giving him a sign to leave, for he desired to have some alone time with the maid. Jack understood the sign. He bowed, exited the room, and closed the door behind him. Once he was gone, Liz began singing in a marvellous, melodic voice of a true Frankish siren:

"In the streets, people are meeting,

Strangers and neighbours are greeting,

And my heart opens up to the month of May...

It's a beautiful, beautiful day.

In the woods, cuckoos are calling,

Thunders are happily roaring,

And my heart dresses up all in red and green...

It's a beautiful, beautiful scene.

Under the ocean and inside the dew,

The world is old, faces are new...

Love is the anchor, and clouds look so true,

Wow, this is how

It feels without you..."

(NOTE: The song used here is called 'Inside The Dew' and is written and sung by Lisa Schettner - an amazing singer. The music video is attached to the chapter in the headline. The song can also be accessed on the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyKaQ5mErcA )

She stopped and smiled at the prince, whose jaw had dropped upon hearing such a blissful voice and a wonderful song.

"I... I have no words..." He dropped to his knees and exclaimed: "Please, accept my proposal to sing with me in a duet on the emperor's birthday!"

Liz gasped - oh, goodness, a prince was bowing to her?!

"Ah, please, stand up!" She grabbed his hand and made him stand up. "What are you doing?!"

"I'm just speechless. What I feel cannot be expressed by words but rather by actions. Please, accept my offer, Miss Schettner!"

"Liz. For you, I'll just be Liz. I'd gladly accept your offer."

Wu brightened with happiness:

"Ah, that's amazing! Then, please teach me the song. We shall sing it in a duet, my team will do the music part, and then the snakes will dance... And the song is about memories of someone gone, so the emperor would be glad to hear it since we have to pay respect to my late brother, too."

Liz nodded:

"Let's do that."

Thus, the fifth prince soon had a performance gift ready for his father. The Frankish lady, whom he had now begun to greatly cherish, would aid him to accomplish the goal. As for Liz, it was a good opportunity for her to not just get closer to the prince whom she had likewise begun to admire, but also to work on the scheme she and her friends had devised together, which would ultimately lead to their freedom.