Chapter 32: The Emperor's Birthday

A grand feast was being held in the main square of the Royal Palace of Wanglong, to celebrate Emperor Wang Ru's fifty-eighth birthday. Both of the queens - Lady Mu and Lady Yue - attended the feast, sitting on the right and the left of the emperor respectively. The guard leader Huo Yao was standing behind the emperor, while the guards had covered all the edges of the square, which was protected by stone walls. 

There were many viziers with their families sitting at the table, as well as the three princes Di, San, and Jong, together with their main servants. Meanwhile, the other three princes - Wu, Hu, and Shao - had prepared performances for the emperor's feast.

"Such a marvellous evening!" Lady Mu smiled. She seemed happy that her sons were sitting at the table while most of Yue's sons were about to perform on the stage like some 'clowns' (or so she loved to think). "I believe you won't be disappointed, Your Majesty!"

"I believe so too." Ru nodded, somewhat gloomy. It appeared that the pain in his heart for the loss of his eldest son still hadn't alleviated.

The musician slaves began beating the drums and gained the feasters' attention. The performances were about to begin.

"It's starting!" Jong got excited.

"Yeah, the clowns are about to emerge," Di whispered to San. They both cackled.

Some Hindian slaves came out with their tigers and began dancing on the rhythm of the drums and flutes. Their tigers were doing various tricks.

"Woah!" Jong was amazed.

Watching his fellow Hindian slaves, who tried so hard to amuse some filthy Wanglongian noblemen, and seeing his master laugh at them, Ahil Khan's blood boiled with the inner rage he tried hard to subdue. 

The Hindian slaves retreated to the background, to give way to a beautiful little maiden with blazing red hair - Tiegan. She held fire sticks in her hands and rolled them like a true southern dancer. Her giant Bengal tiger, Scarlett, accompanied her and jumped around.

 Her giant Bengal tiger, Scarlett, accompanied her and jumped around

"Wow!" The princes' jaws dropped.

"Isn't she the one Hu's flirting with?" Di whispered to San.

"Yeah. She's divine..." San couldn't get his eyes off the maiden's lissome body.

Another tiger - the familiar white one, Xuebai - emerged on the stage, to dance with Scarlett as her pair. Prince Hu, on his part, dressed in a noble orange kimono, came out to join Tiegan in the Tiger Dance performance. The guests were impressed, for it happened to be one of the most difficult Wanglongian dances.