Chapter 44: Jong's Brother - the Emperor

In the morning, Jong straightly headed towards Ming's house, galloping through the streets with his white horse. When he arrived there, he embraced the crying Ming and smiled at her:

"I have good news for you, Ming - it is all going to be settled. I have a hundred percent guarantee."

"Huh? B... But how will you do it? You are a middle-class man!"

"Just trust me. Let's go there, and you'll see." he caressed her on hair. "I told you I'd never leave you in peril. I keep my promises."

He grabbed the girl in his arms, put her onto his horse, then jumped onto it himself, wrapped his hand around Ming, and whipped the horse, making it gallop at a full speed.

"Wow!" Ming clung to the boy in order not to fall off. She looked up at him and, gazing into his kind brown eyes, felt calmness pour into her heart - it felt so serene to be beside him...

He is so different from any boy I've seen before. The way he talks and looks at me... I almost truly believe he's really going to make it, even though I don't have any logical explanation of how he's going to do it.

The pure-bred white Wanglongian horse galloped through the streets, carrying the two lovers. Jong was determined to help the girl at any cost, and now, after yesterday's talk with his brother, he knew he'd be able to hold his promise and make the girl happy... That was all he ever wanted.

The two of them soon arrived at the prison of Huang District - the exact district which Yi Restaurant belonged to, and which itself was governed by Lord Zhong Xiang. 

"W... Wait, you're really going to try getting in?!" Ming got worried.

"Yes, I am." Jong smiled proudly. He cried to the giant iron gates: "Open up!"

Some guards came onto the tower and laughed once saw a peasant guy in a poor kimono-robe with a simple damsel.

"Huh? Beat it, kid!"

"I shall repeat - open up or you're going to regret it!"

"Huh? Who you're threatening, chap? Beat it or we'll shoot!" the guards angrily aimed arrows at him.

Ming got worked-up:

"What are you doing? They're truly going to kill you! Please, stop this!"

Jong chuckled and smiled at her:

"No. They cannot kill me. Just you wait, I'm going to settle this..."

He was going to shout again, but Ming clutched his shoulders and begged, with tears in her eyes:

"Please, don't! I can't afford to lose you too!"

Jong looked at her in surprise - she... cared for him that much?

Poor Ming... 

He had sincere pity on her now that she felt so helpless. 

"Ming, I've talked with my brother about your problem. He promised he would come and settle it. That is why I'm so confident."

"Huh? But what can your brother possibly do? You are just simple landlords, aren't you?"

Terrified cries of people reached their ears, as these latter ones ran up and down:

"The Emperor! Bloody Emperor Beilangshen is coming! Get away!"

A majestic but ruthless young man with black clothes and a black eye-patch rode in with his black horse, accompanied by a small guard army of armoured Vidars and blackened ninjas.

Hearing such exclaims, the prison guards gasped and hid back inside the building, apparently to alert Zhong Xiang of the unexpected and ominous visit. Meanwhile, Ming trembled and clutched Jong's arms:

"Jong, we must get away! We cannot stand on His Majesty's path!"

Jong smiled and shook his head:

"Do not worry. My brother won't hurt us."

Hearing such a carefree remark, and the way he called the emperor "my brother", Ming gasped:

"Y... Your... brother?!"

While they were talking, the emperor and his retinues arrived, and stopped their horses in front of the iron gates, near Jong. The emperor gave them a gracious smile.

"Brother, so good that you came!" Jong brightened, "They're not opening the gates!"

"Oh, are they not?" Beilangshen strictly raised both of his eyebrows, gazing at the gates. 

Ming watched both the emperor and the boy sitting near her, in stupefaction. Now she was completely sure - after the emperor addressed him so casually and even smiled at him - he was none other than a prince, truly a brother to the emperor!

"Y... You're... a prince?!" she looked up at Jong, tears gathering in her eyes. "T... That scary brother of yours you talked about... It is in fact... the emperor?!"

Jong sighed:

"I... I feared to tell you I was a prince. I thought you would be afraid of me if I did. I... I truly love you, Ming. I want to be with you, forever..."

Ming widened her eyes. She sniffed, put her head to the boy's chest, and wept. The many different feelings overwhelmed her.

The emperor's severe voice thundered throughout the area:

"Open up the gates, Zhong Xiang! I know you're there. Beilangshen desires to talk to you!"

The gates roared and opened.