Story TWO- 'Where Words Fail'

'Are they looking?'

'YES.'

'Am I doing anything wrong?'

'YES.'

I glance subtly through my stringy fringe: No one was looking at me. But I knew they could see me, and that made all the difference. I look back down at the dirtys floor and focus my mind instead on the precious, protective music.

'Fly Away' was the song, by TheFatRat. I accidentally lost myself in the lyrics and melody, a small smile gracing my DISGUSTINGLY CRUEL and UGLY face. My eyes followed every speck that came into my unsightly view.

'They all look the same... Is that what a hoard of children in a school look like? All the same?'

I pass a few students huddled in a small group. They were younger than me; maybe by two years? I'm not sure. They were all talking as if they had absolutely no time at all to get their own words in the conversation... Why didn't they just let one another talk? Why were they all talking over each other? We all have a least five minutes left until lessons start again.

I was losing myself in thought, I didn't even notice the tall girl following me closely behind.

'SOMEONE'S FOLLOWING YOU, V. YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, V?'

Cold harsh shock immediately fills my body, and relentless worried words scream at me in my tired mind.

I feel a couple of light, almost dainty, taps on my FAT shoulder. I quickly turn around, forgetting to listen to the   ever-important incoherent screams.

"Excuse me? Can you hear me? I just want to ask you a question!" A girl. A tall girl. A tall girl with blue hair... I know this girl, she's liked by everyone. She's got confidence to spear. She's so effortlessly smart. She's so genuinely kind. She-

'She's beautiful... Why is she talking to me?'

"Um... Er- yeah erm... Sorry I- um..." I managed to stutter out pathetically. I squeeze my eyes shut momentarily: too embarrassed to look at her.

'WELL CRAP! WELL DONE, V!'

"Heh, no need to be scared of me. I was just wondering whether I could listen to music with you?" She smiled kindly, her hand on my shoulder. I think she was trying to offer some sort of comfort; she genuinely thought I was scared of her.

"... Yeah, if you want. Sorry, I don't think you'll like what I listen to, though..." I mumble awkwardly. I try to hide my shaking and grab my left earbud, taking it out slowly.

"It's fine! I probably will, I like all kinds of music!" She took the earbud I offered and gently pushed it in her ear. I hurriedly tried to pick a song I think she might like, my fringe making it a little hard to decipher all the song titles.

'Okay V, you got one chance at this. ONE. CHANCE. Make it worthwhile!'

I finally picked one, 'Pay No Mind' by Madeon. I looked over to her uncertainly, trying to desperately read her facial expressions.

...

Her long arms were crossed loosely against her chest, her straight (yet braced) teeth were softly nibbling her pretty pink lips, her courageous blue hair was dangling carelessly over her left shoulder, her dark green eyes were staring at my phone with the broken screen... Did she like it? She looked more confused than anything else.

'HOW COULD YOU SHOW THAT TO HER?! SHE MUST THINK YOU'RE A SCARED, PATHETIC, WIMPY LITTLE FREAK THAT RELIES ON STUPID, SILLY LITTLE SONGS TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE "OKAY" NOW. WELL DONE, V.'

I hug my arms across my chest tightly, hang my heavy head down slightly, give out a strangled little sigh and wait until the song finishes. We're both just standing in the middle of the narrow (suffocating) hallway, late for our lessons. What was the point of this?

The song ended. I shyly looked up and made contact with those deep eyes, asking her silently for her opinion.

"Wow... I never listen to that sort of music! I love the lyrics, they're so... So sweet and so- oh god I can't even express myself it was so good!" She chuckled happily, patting my head.
"I think I'm gunna listen to music with you more often."

'So she liked it? She likes me?'

'I BET SHE'S MESSING WITH YOU. NO ONE LIKES YOU! SHE MUST JUST BE SAYING THAT, SHE'S GOING TO RUN TO HER POPULAR FRIENDS AND BRAG ABOUT HOW SHE GOT A FREAK LIKE YOU TO TALK TO HER AND SHOW HER YOUR AWEFUL TASTE IN MUSIC-'

"So what's your name? I've seen you around but I never..." she thinks briefly, pauses and looks down; forgetting her previously happy smile and replacing it with a regretful one, "Never had the courage to come up to you. You always look lost in your own thoughts, so I don't like the thought of bothering you."

I stared at her blankly. She was looking at me...  All this time? She's been watching me? Huh... So she "knows" me and she still came up to me? Huh.

'I want to talk. Can I talk? Should I talk? Can I tell her? Should I... Try and become friends?'

'DON'T DO IT, V. YOU'LL REGRET IT AND COME CRYING TO ME LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO. DON'T DO IT-'

I grin timidly and hold out my noticeably sweaty hand, "I'm V."