Chapter 8

Josie approached her locker on her own this time. Typically, Peter was outside waiting for her. This time though, he was nowhere in sight. So, she went on her own.

It felt so awkward, having her left side open and as bare as it was.

She felt empty.

Where was Peter?

Ned was at school, elbow deep in his locker picking out his books for the day. "Hey Ned." She greeted.

With a smile, Ned turned to her. "Hey Jo, how was your weekend?"

Shrugging, she opened her locker. "Average. Nothing too exciting. How about you?"

"Same old same old. But I was talking to Peter yesterday and I think I'm going over to his house tonight to build the Death Star out of legos. " Josie stopped mid reach of her book. Then, slowly, she turned to him giving her friend a look.

"Legos?"

"Yeah! We build it almost every weekend. He was feeling a little sick though yesterday, I think he stayed home today but he said I can still come over. Want to come with?"

With everything she needed, Josie filled her backpack and closed her locker. "Yeah, sure. I can get his homework from the professors."

"Cool. Sounds like a plan, it's a lot of fun I promise."

"Oh sounds like it." She sighed sarcastically. "I'll see you after Chem."

"You got it. "

"Alright, see you Ned. "

"See ya!"

================================

The entire day Josie had heard nothing other than things about Spider-Man. Of course she knew who he was, she knew of him. But apparently last night there was a bank robbery, Spider-Man had swooped in just like always to save the day. However, the deli across the street took a hit and burst into flames.

That immediately sounded fishy to Josie.

If Spider-Man was as great as everyone said he was, how could the store just burst into flames. There had to be something else to the story.

She seemed to get every detail however from Ned as they walked to Peter's house. He wouldn't stop talking about it, the boy couldn't. It was the most exciting part of his life.

To Josie however, she honestly couldn't care less about it.

Superhero's, they weren't who she looked up to.

Who she looked up to was gone, and she could have been saved, maybe, if those so called super hero's were there. No, Josie didn't blame them. What happened stopped because of their bravery and sacrifice.

But they weren't the only ones that lost something.

Adjusting the extremely heavy backpack on her shoulders again, she silently cursed Peter for being in different classes than her. His books weighed just as much as hers, and as if it mattered- he had a pile of papers adding onto the stack as well.

Anything for Peter.

Reaching his apartment building, Josie begrudgingly forced herself up the stairs with Ned right in front of her. Flight after flight her legs burned, but eventually- thankfully, they were in front of his door.

Without knocking, Ned let himself in and Josie just chuckled. The boy was really at home here.

May just smiled seeing him. "Hi Ned, oh- hi Josie!" She smiled brighter seeing the girl. "How was school?"