Chapter 14

"I can't believe it!" Flash exclaimed while running out of the decathlon building. "I can't believe we won! Who knew the scarecrow had a brain?" He yelled again rubbing her yellow hair violently.

Annoyed, Josie pushed him off and rolled her eyes.

Where was Peter.

"Honestly Josie, thank god you were here." Liz showed her appreciation. "Without you or Peter, I don't think we would have known half those questions."

Talk him up.

"They were all Peter's notecards." Josie shrugged. "He's the real brainiac here, I just get the credit for the day."

Smiling again, Liz nodded as they all went towards the Washington monument.

Ned had taken the glowing orb with them and stuffed it into his backpack to keep it safe. Josie thought that it was a good idea too, seeing that it needed to be under protection the entire time.

Not knowing where Peter was though, it put Josie on edge all day.

She half expected him to burst into the decathlon ready to take his seat back, however- he never did. It was almost noon and Peter wasn't back yet.

Out of nowhere though, Josie felt relief when Ned had his phone to his ear. "Peter?" He asked. "Where are you? I-"

Clearly Ned was cut off. All Josie could hear was Peter yelling at him from the other end, panicking. It was like Ned couldn't translate though. Before Josie could reach forward and take the phone from him, Liz had beaten her to it. "Hey Peter, what's going on with you?" She asked softly. It somewhat annoyed Josie, just hours before she was more focused on finding him a replacement rather than worrying about how he was doing. Now that they won though, Liz didn't seem to have any worries in the world. Except one: Peter. "How are you feeling?"

"Liz-" she heard Peter call. "Give the phone to Josie I-"

"Phone in the basket please ma'am." A security guard called as they approached the Washington monument elevator. Of course they had security, it was a historic building.

Abiding by the rules, Liz set the phone in the basket and Josie watched as it was sucked away on the conveyor belt and the call was cut off. Once on the other side, Ned's screen was black and Liz handed it to him.

"What did Pete want, is he okay?" Josie asked Ned.

Shrugging, Ned rolled his eyes. "He sounded fine, just asking about the glowing thing."

Together, their club entered the elevator for the top of the monument. It was crowded, they were packed shoulder to shoulder and on her left was Ned, and on her right was Liz.

"So what does Peter have again?" Their instructor asked.

Thinking quickly, Josie sighed. "I'm not sure, but he won't stop puking."

"It's disgusting." Ned agreed. "Honestly."

"Well." Liz grabbed Josies shoulder and smiled. "I'm glad he has friends like you."

Feeling the wall against her back, Josie smiled back to Liz and leaned against it. That was when she noticed something. Ned's backpack, it was glowing right in front of her. "Ned." She kicked him as her eyes went wide. The orb, it kept getting brighter and brighter and brighter. Peter was definitely trying to warn Ned about something, and her best guess was that this was it. "Ned." She kicked harder. This time, Ned looked back at her.

"What?" He asked annoyed.

The tour guide of the monument kept going on and on and on, but as soon as the orb reached its brightest value- it shot off streams of light through the top of the elevator making everyone hit the floor, including Jo.