Chapter 13

Josie, Ned, and Peter all approached The bus to the decathlon.

"Hey guys." He greeted.

Nodding at him, Liz smiled. "Hey Peter. Hey Ned." Then, she looked at Josie. "Hey Josie- what are you doing here?"

Peter answered for her.

"She was actually wondering if she could tag along?" Liz looked at her for approval.

Josie sighed. "Yeah, I was thinking about joining next year."

It didn't take long for Liz to show her approval. "Absolutely. We're down one anyway, so you can room with me tonight too."

"Thanks." Josie looked at Peter as he smiled back. Then, using the manners that May raised him with, he grabbed her bag for her and hoisted it under the bus.

Liz grabbed ahold of Josie before Peter and Ned could return, and almost immediately the girls were on the bus. It was clear that Josie was uncomfortable, but her job was to be here for Peter. So, talking him up in front of Liz was the best thing she had going for her.

================================

It was a long bus ride full of Peter, Peter, Peter, and Peter. Clearly she had more to talk about than Josie would have imagined, but the girl admired him. Liz thought he was the sweetest, kindest, and smartest boy she had ever met.

"You're lucky to have him." Liz had concluded one of her rants.

Josie almost choked mid swallow of her water bottle, and it made Peter and Ned look at her from the back of the bus. "Oh my god-" Liz went wide eyed. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Josie coughed wiping her face. "It's just- Peter and I, we're not-" she laughed. "Peter is 100% single, I promise you that."

"Oh." Liz was confused. "You're sure?"

"Yes."

"It's just, the way he talks about you- I figured-"

"When has Peter ever talked about me?" Josie laughed.

Rolling her eyes, Liz adjusted herself so the girls were closer. "Are you kidding me? All. The. Time. Every time he walks me to my locker after practice, or like at the party the other night? He doesn't stop."

Subconsciously, Josie ran her hand through her hair brushing back the loose strand once again.

Peter talked about her.

But that's what friends did, right?

He liked Liz, and look at her- there was no way she was ever going to change that.

"Well, that's nice, but I can promise you Peter is fully open for business."

Thinking to herself, Liz nodded with a smile. "Good to know. Thanks Jo."

"Liz?" One of the other team mates asked. "Are we going to practice?"

They were 132 miles from D.C. and had one more day until the decathalon. Now was their time to work.

"Yeah." She called back. "Give me a second."

Being the team leader, Liz knelt on the seat and took out her note cards.

At this, Josie crawled away from the front and back towards Ned and Peter who were staring at her curiously. All the other nerds gathered around ready to answer Liz's questions.

"So what happened?" Peter asked as Josie crawled into his seat.

"Well, she's awefully excited that you're single."