Chapter 11

"Alright..." May pulled the car to a stop and looked back at Peter and Ned who took the backseat. Meanwhile, Josie sat in the front with a smile on her face. "First high school party . Have fun boys!"

"Thanks Aunt May." Ned flirted childishly with Peter's aunt before climbing out of the car.

It made Josie chuckle and turn back towards Peter who was still in the back seat. Their eyes locked and they both cracked a smile. "You'll be fine." She confirmed to Peter. "Just go be you."

He understood what she was referring to. Liz should like him for him, not anyone else.

Sending her a nod, Peter climbed out of the car as well and took Ned's side. Josie leaned on the the frame of the window with a smile. "Text me if you need me. Be cool boys- our reputation is on the line."

Then, as May and Josie drove off, Peter stuffed his hands deep into his pockets watching them go.

Finally May had someone she could connect with other than Peter- it was good for her. For Josie too. After losing her mother, May would be a great person to step up and help overtake that position.

It was important to Peter that Josie knew she wasn't alone.

"You alright Pete?" Ned asked seeing the long look on his friend's face.

Licking his lips, Peter nodded and put a hand on Ned's shoulder. "Yeah. Come on- let's go."

================================

Josie picked at the enchilada in front of her. Their conversations had been normal, but she knew that May would want to ask more personal questions eventually.

So, when it happened, she wasn't surprised.

"So, tell me a little more about your dad Josie. How is he doing?"

She bit her lip, ran her hand through her hair and sat back in her chair. "Ugh- honestly?" Their eyes locked. "Not good."

"Oh no..." May sat forward. "What's wrong?"

Telling people her problems wasn't really her thing- but May seemed to genuinely care.

So, rolling her neck, Josie let it out after a few tries. "He's had Alzheimer's the past 3-4 years." May's face went blank. Then, sitting back, the woman set down her silverware and gave the young girl her undivided attention. "We moved here after the attack on manhattan because our house was toast, and he was transferred here anyway. Apparently this is the best place for Alzheimer's patients to go in the... final stages."

"So..." May shifted. "He's-"

"Not going to recover." She finished for her.

There was a silence between them. "I'm so sorry Josie..."

All she could do was shrug. "It's okay. It's not like I'm not expecting it. He hasn't been my dad for a couple years now, I catch glimpses of him, but it's never enough. He still isn't him."

Swallowing hard, May leaned towards Josie. "Honey, if there is anything Peter and I can do, just-"

"Peter actually doesn't know."

May swallowed hard. "What?"

"I told him about my mom, but with the decathlon coming up and some other stuff, Peter's got enough to worry about."

May seemed incredibly disappointed. "Josie, dear. Peter can handle whatever is thrown at him, that I know for sure. This isn't something you should have to deal with alone. He would want to know, I'm sure of it."