Chapter 6: The paintings

July 18, 2018

She smiled bitterly as she stare on her work. She missed those eyes that she loved to stare. Those lips that touches her skin. She missed him.

"I'm sorry," she said and a lone tear escaped from her eye.

She immediately wiped her tears when she heard the door opened.

"Hey."

Napalingon siya sa pintuan ng kwarto nang marinig ang boses na iyon.

"Adi is looking for you."

Agad naman siyang tumayo at inayos ang mga paint brush na ginagamit at tinakpan muna ng tela ang canvas na malapit na niyang matapos.

Bago siya tuluyang makalabas ay hinawakan nito ang kanyang braso at iniharap sa kanya. Naramdaman niya ang paghaplos nito sa mukha niya na parang may inaalis mula roon. Maybe she got some paint on her face.

And as he look at her, she knew he wants to ask her things that she can't answer yet.

"What happened to you, Brae?" tanong nito.

Napalunok siya. Since the day she came back, everything about her changed. It's like she woke up from a beautiful dream and now she have to live with the bitter taste of reality. She never cried when she learned about her mother's death. She only smile whenever she's in front of her child. At kung dati ay lagi niyang kinukulit ang Kuya Atom niya dahil gusto niyang pansinin siya nito, ngayon. naman ay halos hindi niya ito tapunan ng tingin.

Inilibot nito ang paningin sa loob ng kwartong iyon kung saan naroroon ang kanyang mga ipinintang larawan. She painted those memories she had with him. The cave, the lake, the water falls kung saan madalas silang magtampisaw. The wide space where they usually watch the sunset and wait for the sunrise. And lastly, Jullian.

His eyes, nose, lips and even his back. Seeing those canvas are like a proof that what happened to her is not just a mere dream. He is not a dream.

"Who is he?" tanong nitong muli habang nakatitig sa isa sa mga gawa niya. Ito ang unang beses na nakita nito ang pinta niya kung saan naroon si Jullian.

It was a painting of them. That first time they waited for the sunrise. She was sitting on his lap with her forehead touching his. Pero sa larawang iyon ay waring unti-unting naglalaho si Jullian.

"Is he Adi's father?" his brother asked.

"I'm going to check on Adi," she said instead of answering him. Narinig niya pa ang pagbuntong hininga nito.

"When will you give me answers, Brae?" tanong nito na nakapagpatigil sa kanya. "I've been asking you since the day you opened your eyes. I want to know, Brae. I want to know what happened to my sister after she escaped from the hospital."

Napangisi siya at nilingon ito.

"When did you even start to care for me? As far as I can remember, kulang nalang ay palayasin mo ako noon sa bahay na ito. Dapat nga naging masaya ka pa nang umalis ako. Dapat hindi mo na ako hinanap pa. Yun naman ang gusto mo diba? Ang mawala ako sa landas mo," she coldly said and walk out to find his son.

She saw her son working on his drawing book seriously. He didn't even see her coming kung hindi lang niya ito mabilis na hinalikan sa pisngi.

"What is my Adi doing? Shouldn't you get ready for school?" nakangiting tanong niya sa anak.

"Ma!" nakangiting sabi nito. "I'm already ready. Tito Gwapo said I can finish this first kasi medyo maaga pa naman po. Look oh. My tutor gave me an assignment to draw anything. So I made this."