Chapter 24

I awoke to something burning my skin. I quickly stood, causing a massive headache. I felt my head and there was a huge lump on the side of it. I inspected where I was. It was a cage, made of, you guessed it, anti demon metal.

I crossed my legs and pulled my dress under them. Great, they found me. I thought, feeling defeated. No one can save me now.

I looked around at what was outside the cage and gasped. It looked like they wanted to make sure I wouldn't get away, because the cage was suspended in the air. Below, people were looking at different types of machinery. Another cage was in the air about ten meters away. I couldn't tell who was in it, but I didn't even want to know anyway. I knew I was being killed, I didn't want to know anyone else.

Just as I looked away, I heard the person in the other cage cry out in pain. The voice sounded masculine, so it was probably some poor demon who got caught off guard.

The windows had sunlight shining through them. It was daylight, December sixth. I was to be executed on my birthday. Lovely.

I started coughing again, more violently than last time. I pulled my arm away from covering my mouth, and saw blood on my dress sleeve.

I wanted to cry, but showing weakness would get me nowhere. I stood and walked over to the edge of my cage. It tipped a little as I moved.

I looked at the other cage, and then started coughing again. I fell to my knees, unable to stop. I coughed up blood in my cage, which started to run down the side and drip onto the heads of scientists. I smiled a little, and finally stopped coughing.

"Selena?"

I turned and looked at the other cage. Someone was looking at me, and I instantly knew who it was.

"Alex?" I asked hoarsely. "Why are you here? Where's Finny?" I coughed again, tasting the blood in my mouth.

"Don't talk," he said. "You're only making yourself worse. I'm here because I tried to save you, and I got kidnapped as well. Finny followed us and said he would find your father and tell him what happened." He sighed. "I guess all this worked out quite nicely."

"How?" I croaked, coughing again.

He gave me a serious look. "I'm serious, stop talking. And what I mean was that the whole plan originally was to get me in here to find your mom, right? Well, I'm in."

I almost laughed. How could he have such high spirits? We were about to be killed.

Suddenly, my cage started moving, and I screamed, clutching the bars. Terrible mistake. The bars instantly burned my skin, and I screamed again, then coughed harshly. 

My cage was moving closer to Alex's. Soon the cages were together, and a door on each opened, connecting our cages.

A scientist shouted up, "Keep your voices down, would ya? We're trying to work! Keep each other company until the boss comes in to take you to your execution." Then she went back to her work.

Alex walked over to me and inspected my hands. "Are you okay?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but then closed it and just nodded.

"Good." He then walked back over to his own cage and inspected it. He stood on the opposite side to the door, and the cage tilted. Both cages were not connected. We could get out.

He walked back over to me and sat beside me. "I have a way to get you out of here, but you have to trust me and move fast. Can you do that?"

I nodded, then shook my head.

"Then I'll just have to carry you."

I smiled at him, then out of nowhere, hugged him.

He seemed shocked at first, but then hugged me back. "Don't worry," he said. "I promise I'll get you out of here alive."

I pulled away and nodded. He nodded back, then helped me stand. We approached the side of my cage by the door, and our weight tipped it lower, creating an opening.

"I'll stay up here until you drop down, then I'll jump. If I went first, you'd have to hold on to the cage and hang down to make sure you made it all the way out. Once I'm out, I'll grab you, then we'll make for the exit. Got it?"

I nodded, then crouched down and slipped through the opening. People noticed immediately that I was out and started running toward me. I put my arms up to defend myself. But right before they got to me, I felt something grab my arms and lift me up. I was then thrown into the air and caught by Alex.

He smiled at me as I playfully punched him in the shoulder. "Hang on," he said, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He flew faster once I had held onto him. He zoomed through doorways and halls, and stopped at the doorway to another room. He landed and opened the door, still holding me. I looked inside to find my father, Maria, and Finny all gathered there. I didn't jump from Alex's arms like you would think I'd do at a time like this. I let him carry me over to them, knowing I'd never make it on my own.

Alex was about to put me down when the door opened again. We all looked to find Christopher holding a gun, pointed directly at me. His eyes were full of rage, and I had no idea what was keeping him from pulling the trigger.

I just looked at him until he began to speak, his voice raspy with anger. "How dare you escape from those cages! Why can't you all just be like others and take what you deserve?!"

"How many innocent people have you slaughtered?" I asked, my voice still a croak. I saw Alex look at me while I spoke, and I coughed after, but I had to know.

"I have not killed the innocent! The beings I hunt down are ones that are a threat to the human race! And believe me, they aren't worth being called people. You and everyone else out there even remotely like you are just monsters, waiting for the perfect moment to take down the humans and control the world!"

My father stepped in front of me and Alex, the gun now pointed directly at him. "I apologize, Christopher, but you are starting to become quite bothersome. You see, before leaving London, my young master ordered me to kill anyone who got in my way. I didn't want to do this, but," I couldn't practically hear his eyes turn red, "you leave me no choice."

My father advanced, and Christopher shot the gun. Dad caught the bullet in his hand and then let it fall to the ground, harmless. Christopher jumped back and dropped his gun. "Wait! You'll never thaw the angel without my help!"

That seemed to make my father pause. I could almost see the glare he was giving Christopher, even though he wasn't facing me.

"Do it, then," Dad said.

Christopher walked over to a door that I had thought was just a closet. He opened it up to reveal another door, which he opened to reveal the frozen body of my mother.

She looked beautiful. She was wearing a white dress, and her hair was hanging long and wavy down to the center of her back. Her arms were at her sides, and in her hair was a white rose.

Christopher started a fire in the fireplace inside the room.

Selena, I must speak with you now, said a voice.

I instantly knew who it was, but I looked around for the fun of it anyway. I had nothing else to do until she pulled me into her world, so I just watched Christopher. I looked up at Alex, who was surprisingly still holding me. He nodded. He saw it too. That small glimmer in a person's eyes that makes you know not to trust them.

I lay my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I felt Alex's eyes on me, worried.

"Selena? Are you okay?"

I nodded once. "I'll be back soon," I whispered, then fell unconscious and into the world between life and death.