Chapter 28

I felt Finny grab my arm and pull me away from my father just in time. My father, when I looked back at him, had an annoyed expression on his face as none other than the red reaper clung to his arm for dear life.

"Grell, please move. We are in a hurry," Dad said, irritated. Did I seriously hear him say please?

Grell stuck out his lower lip in a pout. "Were you going to leave me again, Bassy?"

Dad thought for a moment. "Actually, I'd like you to do me a favor."

Grell gasped, then let go of my father and clasped his hands together in a pleading way. "Oh, Bassy, anything!"

Dad smiled, then grabbed Finny and Maria and moved them between himself and Grell. "You somehow got these two here. I want you to take them back to London. You may leave them at the docks. We will be following close behind."

Grell stepped forward and gave Sebastian a pouty face. "Will you ditch the girl?"

"Never."

Grell sighed, then said, "Fine, as long as you are asking, Bassy, I'll do anything!" Grell twirled, his red coat flowing. Once his twirl ended, he fixed his hair, grabbed Finny and Maria, and dragged them toward the direction of the docks.

***

Third Person POV:

Alex thought about how he had left the graveyard without a word to Selena while he was flying. He could practically hear her wails from where he was, which was a couple miles away. Maybe he could just sense her pain.

He soon landed in Selena and her friends' old campsite. Several scientists still lay dead on the ground from where Alex had fought them trying to save Selena.

He walked over to a toppled pile of goodies and supplies. Most of the boxes were smashed, but a few were lying in the snow, unharmed.

Sebastian had whispered in his ear while at the cemetery to come back here and search for any remains of Selena's birthday presents. He held his breath as he opened the boxes. One held a dress, solid black, and a white hair ribbon. Another contained a small stuffed bear, which looked pre-owned.

The last box was small, but wide. Alex opened it to find a small charm bracelet inside. One charm was a set of wings, another was a skull and crossbones. Alex smiled to himself as he examined the bracelet. It was the one he bought for Selena on his errand for Maria just the day before.

(A/N: Please do not be a downer and tell me that none of this stuff existed in the 19th century. I don't feel like researching and it fits the story just fine. Please do not complain. Keep negative comments to yourselves. Thank you.)

All the gifts seemed to be unharmed. As he searched the smashed and broken boxes, he, relieved, saw they were just full of supplies. He picked up the gifts and returned to the sky, sensing for Selena's energy.

It was faint and fading fast. Alex had no clue how she had managed to hang on this long. He had promised to do everything in his power to save her, but wasn't sure she'd survive long enough for him to carry it out.

***

Sebastian waited for Alex at the gate of the cemetery, sitting on a bench. Selena was asleep, her head on her father's shoulder.

Sebastian watched as the sun set behind the horizon, and darkness took over the earth. The moon was nowhere in sight, and few stars twinkled overhead. Soon he heard the sound of wings, and a felt a quick, strong wind.

Looking over his shoulder, Sebastian saw Alex. He was holding three boxes, Which must have contained the presents. Alex moved to stand in front of Sebastian, and gave him two of the boxes. He put the third one in his pocket, then rested his eyes on Selena.

"So you know the way to England?" Sebastian asked him.

Alex simply nodded.

Sebastian gently lifted his daughter into his arms, careful not to wake her. He faced Alex. "Fly her back. I will meet you there shortly."

Alex didn't ask questions. He carefully took Selena from her father's arms and softly took to the sky. He flew slowly at first, not wanting the wind to wake her. But when he noticed the speed wasn't going to wake her up, he tried a little faster. He repeated this process until he was at a close to normal speed, then stopped and stayed at the same pace.

Selena stayed fast asleep, not even moving as Alex's speed increased. Her hair flew in the wind, but somehow remained untangled. Her black dress, covered in blood, dirt, and tears, was flying everywhere. And her wings, still wrapped in blood soaked bandages, we're perfectly still. He would have thought he'd lost her if not for her weak energy signal she still gave off and the wavering rise and fall of her chest as her breathing became ragged.

Alex flew a bit faster, scared that if he didn't, she wouldn't last the flight.

(A/N: So sorry about how long it took to update. I got a new tablet, so I've been trying to get used to typing on it, I had a bit of writer's block, and it took forever to figure out how to word paragraphs. I know it's not the best, and that it's kinda short, but it's the best I could do for now. Next chapter will be posted soon! Unless of course you are reading this after the book is complete. If that's the case, please continue reading. Hopefully this book will only have two chapters left. That's what I'm aiming for. The last two may end up being super long because of it. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, the previous, and the ones to come. Lots of Love!)