Chapter 7

We searched everywhere for an angel. We searched the streets, hotels, markets, and even houses. We finally gave up and sat down on a park bench. My wings were hurting, my head was killing me from trying to sense the presence of angels, and I was worn out. Ever since my angel half started to die, I'd been gradually becoming tired more frequently. I sighed, and let my head fall into my hands, with my elbows resting on my knees.

"Something the matter?" my father asked me curiously.

"Yes," I said, stating the obvious. "Half of me is dying, I can't walk very far without having to take a break, and I can't sense the presence of any angels." I gasped then, realization hitting me harder than a two ton boulder. I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?" my father asked, almost worriedly.

"I can't sense the presence of angels anymore." I waited for him to respond, but he didn't. I continued, "How are we supposed to find an angel to help me if I can't sense them?"

"I guess we can't, Selena," he said. "I'm sorry."

I sighed again. "It's not your fault, Dad," I said with a small smile.

"No, it is," he said, looking straight at me. "I was supposed to be helping you and your mother the day she was killed, but I didn't. I had decided to go up ahead and grab some supplies. If I hadn't left you two, I could have protected you and your mother and she would still be with us. We wouldn't be searching for an angel, we wouldn't be waiting for a human to arrive, and half of you would not be dying. It's my fault, Selena, and I sincerely apologize."

"Dad, none of us knew we were going to be attacked. There was no way for us to know. We knew we were at risk, but they were mainly after me. Mom wouldn't have died if I'd just stayed home that day, like you had told me to..."

"You remember that?" He sounded shocked.

"Like it happened yesterday," I answered. "You told me to stay home, where it was safe, and Mom had agreed. I thought I would be safer with you both, and told you that, mainly so that I could tag along and not be in a big house all by myself."

"You were five, Selena, it was expected that you wouldn't want to be home alone. That isn't your fault."

"But I fought with you over it. I'm sorry. I know it's a little late, but I am. I just-" My voice broke, and I started to sob quietly.

My father embraced me tightly, trying to comfort me. He was a demon, and didn't have many feelings or emotions, but he cared about me a lot, and I could tell easily.

"Your mother and I love you very much. We've never stopped for a second. Her death is not your fault because you were five and wanted to be with your mother. We should have just stayed home with you instead of going out like we had. Don't blame yourself, and I won't blame myself either, alright?"

I nodded, wiping my eyes. Dad was right. It wasn't my fault for being little. I wanted my mom, just like I do now.

"Glad I got that off my chest," I told him.

"Me too," Dad said with a smile.

"Maybe one of us should go pick up Maria, or else she may never get here." Maria had to ride the lifeboat back to the London docks, and wait for a new ship to bring her here, which would probably take at least one month.

"Maybe later," my father said. "At the moment, we should find somewhere for you to rest."

"I'm alright," I tried to assure him. But of course, as my luck would have it, I winced in pain as my wings started changing again.

My father gave me an uneasy look. "I don't believe you should be out in public right now, Selena. We need to get you away from all these humans."

I sighed. I knew he was right, but I didn't want to go inside. The breeze felt relaxing as it blew through my long black hair, and the American children's laughs were heartwarming. Those were angelic signs, right? I was still an angel deep down.

"Can we find somewhere with a large window?" I asked him, my eyes closed, head tilted to face the sun's rays.

"Of course," he said, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

I opened my eyes and stood, then grabbed my father's arm and let him lead me towards the exit to the park.

"Sebastian!" a familiar voice shouted. "Selena!"

I turned at the sound of my name and spotted the person who had yelled to us.

It was Maria, and running toward my father and I along side her, was Finny.