Chapter 27

Memories of getting from the park to the small, warm building by the cemetery were all a bit hazy. I remember my mother's dead body vividly. Her pale skin, her once white dress dyed red with blood, and worst of all, the long knife protruding from her chest, buried to the hilt inside of her.

I sat on the floor, refusing to possibly damage some kind stranger's sofa with a blood stain. Alex tried persuading me that it would be okay, and warmer than the wooden floor, but I still declined.

Alex stayed beside me on the floor, his arm still wrapped around my shoulders, which I assumed was just to make sure I was warm. I had stopped shivering, but I was still shaking out of pain, fear, sadness, and frustration. I cried softly.

Someone knocked on the door once before opening it, and I jumped, then hid my face on Alex's chest, clutching his shirt. I felt him hug me, and I looked up at him.

He was smiling at me knowingly. He knew exactly what I was afraid of, and why I was leaning to him to help and protect me. He nodded to something behind me, and I looked cautiously.

It was only Finny, Dad, and Maria, all smiling down at me. Well, except Finny. He had crouched down to floor level, so he was just smiling at me.

I let go of Alex and latched my arms around Finny's neck, hugging him tight. He hugged me back, gentle as always, and let me cry on his shoulder.

***

Third Person POV:

While Selena and Finny and Alex sat and talked, Maria pulled Sebastian to the other side of the room.

"Sebastian," Maria said softly, glancing back at Selena. "I can tell that we are running out of time. We should have left for London hours ago. Now I am not sure she can survive a boat ride back."

"Yes, Maria, I'm aware," Sebastian answered.

"We should leave immediately after this is over."

"Fine, but it'll be tough getting her on the boat," Sebastian said, looking over to where Alex, Finny, and Selena were laughing and chatting away. He finished, "if she has to say goodbye."

Maria followed his gaze, then sighed. "You're right about that." She thought for a moment, then gasped. "Sebastian, I have an idea."

She was about to explain when someone knocked on the door and entered. It was the grave digger, dirty shovel in hand. He told them, "Everything is ready. Jus need the body and family to say goodbye."

Sebastian nodded, and led the man outside to the carriage. Maria followed them, while Finny, Alex, and Selena stayed inside. Alex helped Selena stand, and she leaned on Finny for support.

"Let's go," Alex said.

Selena nodded, then let Finny help her back into the freezing wind, to say goodbye to her mother for the last time.

***

Selena's POV:

When we walked back into the freezing snow, it was early sunset. The sky was a light yellow in the distance between the dark clouds. The snow was still lightly falling, but I thought it was a terrible sight. All I could see was blood everywhere. I wanted to cry.

Alex put his hand on my shoulder. He could probably sense my despair, and how little energy I had left to finish off the day.

Dad, Maria, and the grave digger came back with a table with a tarp over it. The tarp covered my mother's body head to toe. When they reached us, the man pushed the table and led us all to the grave.

The man picked Mom up gently, then placed her in the grave uncovered, since we couldn't pay for a casket. After lowering her into the grave, the man removed the tarp so we could see her one last time. As soon as it was off, I started crying uncontrollably.

Her dress still was covered in blood, but thankfully the knife had been removed. Her wings were tucked out of sight.

I though of something, and pulled on my dad's arm beside me. He looked down at me, and I stood on my toes and whispered in his ear. He nodded, then asked the man if he could give us a few minutes to say goodbye privately.

"Sure. Take all the time ya need," he said sympathetically, then walked back toward the building.

Dad bent down and pulled Mom out of the grave. He hugged her, then felt her back for the slits in her dress. He reached inside one, and extended my mother's wing.

They had been light gray when I was a child, because she was fallen. Now, they were a pure and gentle white. Each of her wings extended fully to about eight feet. I bent down and sat next to my father, surprising Finny, who had been holding me up, and Alex, who had not removed his hand from my shoulder.

I leaned on my father as I ran my fingers across my mother's wing. It was softer than any animal I had ever pet, or any pillow I had ever touched.

"Dad?" I asked through tears.

"Yes?"

"Do you think they f-finally let M-Mom back into h-heaven?"

Dad smiled at me, then pulled me into a hug. "I believe they did. She's home, Selena. Don't ever forget that."

Crying harder, and coughing harshly often, I nodded and hugged my father with all the strength I had left. I felt him move one of his arms away from hugging me, but then placed it back. Then I felt a strong gust of wind, which only lasted a moment. I looked around through tears, and noticed Alex was gone.

That only made me cry harder. Why would Alex leave me in my time of hurt and need. I thought he cared. He had until now, at least.

I stroked Mom's wing one last time, then nodded to Dad, who nodded back, then refolded Mom's wing neatly into place. Before he could put her back into the grave, though, I broke down completely and hugged my mother, crying harder than ever before, coughing almost the whole time. Why? Why did bad things always have to happen to me? I thought my mom dead for ten years, demon hunters and scientists tried to kill me for two years, I start dying off, I find my mother only to lose her forever, and I meet someone like me only for him to abandon me when I need him most. Not to mention we bury my mother on the anniversary of the day she was brutally murdered, which just so happens to be my one and only sixteenth birthday. I've lived the best life imaginable, haven't I? (Please note the sarcasm.)

I cried over my mother for I don't know how long. Once I finally sat up, I had her blood on my dress. I pulled the flower out of her hair and put it in mine, then noticed the necklace around her neck. It was the one she had always worn for as long as I could remember. She would never take it off. It was cross, with diamonds embedded into it. I looked from the necklace to my father, my eyes pleading. He smiled and nodded, and I quickly undid the clasp on the chain of the necklace and slid it off. I gave it to Dad, who took it and clasped it around my neck.

I looked back down at my mother. Her neck looked bare without the necklace, and I didn't like it. I took Mom's arms and crossed them over her, then kissed her cheek. Dad lowered her back into the grave and was up again in time to see the grave digger walk out of the building and back toward us.

"Ya'll ready? Its been almost and hour. I know you'll miss her, but staring at a dead body isn't good for people emotionally."

Dad looked to me, and I nodded. He turned back to the man. "Yes, We're ready."

Mr. Grave Digger said a prayer over the grave, wishing us well and asking God to watch over us and help is through this tough time. When he finished. He said he would bury her after we leave, then he went back to building.

We all said our goodbyes, then started walking back. We reached the gate of the cemetery, and heard someone scream.

"BASSY!!!!!"