BARTONVILLE STATE HOSPITAL, PEORIA, ILLINOIS, USA

During its final years of operation staff members started to report odd occurrences. After they left, the building became the site of vandals, trespassers and curiosity seekers, many of whom have had their own encounters in the place.

HISTORY: 

There is a long history behind this place filled with societal and medicinal improvement, psychosis and ghosts.

Construction of the first buildings began in 1885 and were concluded in 1887. The hospital resembled a medieval castle. It was never used and torn down in 1897.

In 1902 the hospital reopened. 33 Different buildings housed the patients. There was also a nurse's home, a store, a power house and a domestic building with a laundry, bakery and kitchen. Four cemeteries are located behind the main building.

The oldest cemetery marks the location of the very first ghost story. It is not a meager legend, it is an acknowledged report of a paranormal event. The teller was none other than Dr. George Zeller himself, who headed the hospital.

Of all the gravediggers, the most remarkable one was a guy called A. Bookbinder. He was completely mute as he suffered a breakdown that left him incompetent of logical speech. He was tough and in good physical shape though and was recruited in the burial corps.

During every funeral Old Book, as he was nicknamed, would do away with his cap, wipe his eyes and begin howlingdeterminedly for the patient who died. First his sleeve would be used to wipe away the tears and then he would walk over and lean against the old elm in the center of the cemetery and begin sobbing loudly. The tree was known as the Graveyard Elm.

Eventually Old Book too passed away. More than 100 uniformed nurses attended his memorial service. Old Book's casket was placed on two cross beams and lowered. Dr. Zeller wrote: "Just as the choir finished the last lines of Rock of Ages, the men clutched their ropes, stooped forward and with a powerful well-developed effort, prepared to lift the coffin, in order to allow the removal of the crossbeams and allow it to gently descent into the grave.

At a given signal they heaved away the ropes and the next instant, all four lay on their backs. For the coffin, instead of offering resistance, bounced into the air like an eggshell, as if it were empty.

Spectators were a little shocked at this event. In the midst of the commotion, a wailing voice was heard and every eye turned toward the Graveyard Elm whence it emanated. Every man and woman stood transfixed, for there, just as had always been the case, stood Old Book, weeping and moaning with an solemnity that surpassed anything he had ever shown before."

Dr. Zeller summoned some men to remove the lid of the coffin. As soon as if was, the wailing totally stopped. Inside the coffin lay the body of Old Book, unquestionably deceased.

"It was awful, but it was real." Dr. Zeller wrote. "I saw it, 100 nurses saw it and 300 spectators saw it."

A few days later, the Graveyard Elm began to fade and die.

During efforts to get rid of the tree it emanated an tormented despairing cry of pain. During an attempt to burn it down, a sobbing and crying sound came from it.

The hospital closed its doors in 1972. The owner of the property, Winsley Durand hopes to convert it into office space.

  The owner of the property, Winsley Durand hopes to convert it into office space

Below is a footage of a paranormal lockdown at the Bartonville State Hospital.