RIVOLI THEATER, INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA, USA

HISTORY:

When Carl Laemmle, Jr., President of Universal Pictures Corporation Chain Theatrical Enterprises, Inc., called upon architect Henry Ziegler Dietz to design a motion picture theater for Indianapolis' east side, he insisted the building not only be large, safe and practical, but to stand for a long time to serve the community well and to provide the best the motion picture industry had to offer. Entertainment dollars were invested into the east side location because of the modest box office prices it could provide in a downtown theater in the then rural Indianapolis. Laemmle described the Rivoli as "The home of happiness." 

 This was the first Universal Studio theatre built in Indiana. The theater was constructed in Spanish mission style of the finest materials available in 1927. This included Indiana limestone, fine sweet gum, woodworking, leaded glass windows with copper window sashes, and solid brass door fittings as well as Georgia white and Riviera black terrazzo. Lavatory fixtures in ivory lavished the patrons in luxury. The décor included decorative plastered egg-and-dart patterned auditorium walls, a tulip patterned border edging the large domed ceiling, and intricate wooden and plaster grillwork fronting the two organ chambers near stage right and stage left.

It is said that the dome in the auditorium had small lights that flickered to resemble starlight. The front of the theater building included an ice cream parlor named "The Rivoli Tostee Shop." It was built to accommodate 1 500 patrons. It was designed to also accommodate theatrical stage productions. The Rivoli had the largest stage in Indianapolis and the acoustics were second best to non. The famous organist, Desa Byrd, found the acoustic so extraordinary that she recorded two record albums at the Rivoli.

Eventually due to financial circumstances, Universal was forced to sell the Rivoli, like many of their other theaters in 1937. And even though the theatre reopened and closed several times the building survived several private ownerships. It continued to provide motion picture entertainment and hosted many live performances by artists such as John Mellencamp, Gino Vannelli, Billy Cobham and George Duke, Supertramps, Linda Ronstadt, Kris Kristofferson, Bruce Springsteen, Bette Davis and many many more.

In February 1992, the Rivoli closed. However the Rivoli is currently slated to obtain a national historic designation. Plans to renovate and reopen the theatre is underway. The Rivoli is the only remaining original venue 1 500 seat, 5 isled, single screen motion picture neighborhood theatre in Indianapolis.

As you stroll past the Rivoli and look through the cloudy front door windows into the lobby, you see the remains of the intimidating building security, a rusty full suit of armor covered by a dusty layer of plaster, remaining faithful at his post guarding his domain. To the right you can see the concession stand and popcorn machine and you mind wanders back to the days when the aroma of fresh buttered popcorn filled the air. As you eyes travel past the inner lobby and beyond the foyer doors into the darkness, you strain to see the vague outline of a row of seats descending into the unknown.

It is not surprising that theaters, including the Rivoli, were so dearly loved. Some so much that even death has not separated the bond. Rivoli is no exception. Charles Richard Chulchian purchased the Rivoli in 1976 after the building suffered years of neglect, and patrons and previous owners and longtime patrons relayed stories of ghosts and unexplained happenings in the theater. Mr. Chulchian dismissed it as overactive imaginations.

HAUNTINGS: 

Prior owners stated that on several occasions when entering the theatre early in the morning, they clearly saw patrons sitting in the auditorium As the theatre had not yet opened the owners immediately tried to confront the patrons to ask them how they got in before the theatre opened, only to watch, in surprise as the patrons disappeared right before their eyes.