Chapter 29: Present

There I was, standing at the familiar wilted grass of the old cemetery, looking down upon your tombstone. It’s been 5 months, I can’t believe it. Every month I just get worse and worse. The scars were starting to heal, but the meaning stays. The visible wounds were fading each day, but the pain in my heart was permanent, I was sure of it. Every day I would talk to you, pouring out everything that has happened to me. I always dream of you, I always see you, I always hear you, I always feel your presence beside me. Never a day in these past few months that I won’t call out your name.

Here we go again, meballing my eyes out to you, while you intently listen to me. It’s hard, Bailey. Knowing I can’t make you come to Earth, that’s why I’m the one who’s going to you. Even though how many times I tell myself that I’m going to move on, that I’m strong, that I can get through this, my faith crumbles as fast as I say I’m brave.

I open the bottle and pour out the white pills in my hand. I grazed my free hand along the drugs that will take my life away in an instant. “This is it.” I muttered. I’m going to end my depression, anorexia, self-harm, hallucinations, nightmares, and suffering by going to the bright light that you went.

Nothing, nothing, can make me feel any better. You can call me ignorant, you can call me an idiot, you can call me anything you want, but that’s okay. I bet it’s true.

I took a deep sigh and popped the pills in my mouth, and started writing furiously to the paper I want to show to the boys. I wanted to thank them, and apologize.

My head started to feel light, so I gave a last breath and closed my eyes.

I walked through the unfamiliar white light, searching for any life form, but of course, there aren’t any. Since this is the path were people cross to go to the other side. The afterlife.

I looked around and saw a girl with long brown hair that cascades down to her back. She turned around and I realized it was you. You have pale skin and dull blue eyes, dissimilar to mines. You hand was full of cuts and bruises. At first, you frowned on me. I abruptly stopped and stared at you. You looked confused, Bailey. “Did I do something wrong?” I stupidly asked. Oblivious of my confusion, you rolled your eyes at me and said, “Honestly, Niall, what you did was wrong. But I have you now.. and I guess we could start again.”

In a blink of an eye, you transformed. You turned in to yourself, the original you. The one with sea blue eyes, and glowing white skin, the bruised were gone, and your smile literally lights up the whole path.

I smiled to you and you smiled back, “I..I’m in love with you.”

I cupped your cheek and said, “I love you more, and finally, I’m with you.”

The way you smile, the way your eyes lights up, the way you look like you’re sparkling..

You look hauntingly beautiful.