Chapter 25: Memory

She nervously walked beside Niall, who placed his hands in his pockets. He sighed and turned to Bailey.

“Niall.” Bailey breathed out, desperately trying to cut the tension. She tried to search his blue eyes if there are any sign of problem. Nothing, there was nothing. His eyes were full of mystery, not even she could figure it out. “Niall, what’s going on?” She asked again.

“Bailey, I need to tell you..” He looked away, took a deep breath, and looked back at her. Within a blink of an eye, all of the joyful memories the two held were shown right before Niall’s eyes. The kisses, the hugs, everything.

“Fuck..” He muttered as the memories faded. He doesn’t what he feels about the two girls. He suddenly regretted kissing Casey. If he hadn’t cheated on Bailey then he wouldn’t be in this kind of situation. The tears covered up his vision, and were falling helplessly to the ground.

“Oh no, Niall.” Bailey said and reached up to Niall’s cheeks and cupped it. Her eyes were full of concern, but still confused by the sudden sobbing of Niall. “I don’t know how to say this, Bailey.”

She tried to kiss him for comfort, but he stepped away. He shook his head, “I don’t know anymore, Bailey.”

“What do you mean, Niall?”

“I cheated on you with Casey, and it’s still going on up to today.” Niall nervously blurted out. Bailey took a step back and placed her hand to cover her mouth. Bailey’s face has hurt, pain, sadness, grief, and burden written all over it. The wind was blowing softly through her hair as her hands were shaking gently.

“Since when?” She asked. “A few weeks ago.” He answered truthfully.

She would’ve slapped him. She would’ve cracked his neck. But she didn’t. All she did was stared up to him with her perfect eyes.

“I’m sorry. I am such a terrible boyfriend. I just don’t know anymore..” Niall manage to choke out.

“Don’t know what, Niall?” She asked, even though she doesn’t want to.

“I- about us, when I kissed Casey, there was spark, I was sure, I- I wasn’t thinking, I don’t k-know-“

“You don’t love me anymore.” Bailey said.

Niall was about to say something when he saw the tears welling up in Bailey’s eyes. Her mouth was trembling, as she stared up to him intently. She was close to breaking down in seconds, but instead, she took the hurt, the pain, the grief, and the misery to herself, so she can continue on the conversation.

“I should’ve seen it before. I mean, every time I fall in love with a boy, he ended up falling in love with Casey. I mean it’s fine, I guess. Who wouldn’t fall in love with her, right? That’s okay... but you should’ve told me, and maybe, just maybe, I am in the process of moving on by now.”

Niall only sniffed as a reply. They were both violently crying by now, even the strong Bailey Parker couldn’t handle the tricks of love. Even the cheerful Niall Horan couldn’t handle the misery thrown at him.

Bailey managed to smile without showing her teeth, “I guess this is where we say goodbye and break up, huh?”

Niall sighed and tried to hold Bailey’s hand when she pulled it away and shook her head.

“Chase her, Niall.”

He looked surprised, and Bailey continued, “She’s a perfect girl. Chase after her before she realizes something else.”

There was silence. “I-I can’t break up with you.”

“I’ll do it, for you, Niall. I’ll break up with you, for the sake of Casey.” Bailey quivered.

“Don’t you love me anymore?” Niall sadly asked. Bailey went eye wide and shook her head repetitively.

“Of course I still love you. But if you love me enough, you wouldn’t fall for Casey. You know what they say, right? If you have to choose between your first and second love, pick the second one. Because you wouldn’t fall for the second one if you love your first one enough.”

Niall then can’t take it anymore. She hugged Bailey tight.

“You are the most understanding, and the most forgiving person a boy could ask for.”

“But Casey is something more.” She said and smiled, the tears still falling. Niall kissed her for one last time, it was full of passion, indicating a goodbye.

“Thank you for the love, Niall, but it’s time to break things off. I’m sorry for not being enough.” Bailey said and pulled away. Her mouth was in a thin line, while her eyes were glossy. “Let’s go back inside. They’re probably worried.”