Coming Home

Phyllis POV

I sit in the main office, as the bell for first-period rings. I roll my eyes and lean back against the chair waiting on the principal to call my father so I can be suspended for three days. I close my eyes and sighed. I feel like I'm in 5th grade all over again. I smile creeps on my face as I remember the fight I got into over my childhood, Chris. I think about him all the time. I take out my wallet and look at the picture that I took of him. I sighed. Oh, how I want to go back to Chicago. I remember the time when my brothers came down to Chicago and they helped me in my fight over Chris. 

Flashback: Age 10

I was at the park playing with my brothers Jon and Mike when I hear my name. I look and I see Pj, one of those punks that beat up on Chris. I went down the slide and I walked up to him. He had his crew so I know all hell was finna break lose. "What?" I asked. "Where's your little boyfriend?" PJ asked. "My WHO?" I looked at him dumbfounded. I'm 10 years old. What do I need a boyfriend for? "Chris," PJ answered. "We wanna...talk to him." His friends started giggling behind him. I instantly went into defense mode. "You're not going anywhere near him!" I declared. 'And I don't know what your sidekicks are laughing about!" I pointed to his crew. "They can laugh at anything they want, especially like a bitch-ass cracker like you," PJ said with hatred in his voice. I was about to punch him when a hand caught my fist. I look and it was Jon. He whispers in my ear "We got this..." and slightly pushed me back behind him. "Is there a problem?" he asked. PJ nervously laughed and said, "Na. We were just....talking." "That was a little more than talking, don't you think?" Mike asked behind me. I jumped. My brothers be poppin' up out of nowhere. "Nothing to worry about. I was just telling that little bitch to stay in her place." I inhaled. This is about to go left real fast. "That little bitch, just so happen to be my sister, and she had a name. It's Phyllis." Jon said as he inched closer to PJ. "If you have beef with her, you have beef with us. Ya Dig?' Mike asked as he stepped in front of me but behind Jon. I looked at my brothers. They are over-protective. In a way, that's a good thing. Too bad they come over once a month. "I don't think you understand me playa." PJ said stepping closer to Jon. "Na, I don't think you understand," said Mike whose now standing side by side with Jon. "NO! Mikey! Jon-Jon! Stop!" I shouted. "Na, ma. This has nothing to do with you. This is all about me." I turned around to look at Chris. He walks up to me and whispers, "Let me fight my own battles." He looked pissed so I moved out of his way. He made his way through Jon and Mike and was in Pj's face. "You wanted to see me?" "Yeah. Let's talk." Pj said with smirk on his face. "Yes. Lets." Before PJ could answer, Chris got his first lick. He knocked p.j to the floor and his boys jumped in. Jon and Mike jumped in and started helping Chris. Than one stole Chris and he was on the floor. He kicked him in the face and the stomach. I ran up to him and pushed him to the ground. I was punching him when someone pulls my hair. I elbow them and got off the one boy. I turned around and it was P.j. He punched me in my face and that was surely his last. I punched him as if my life depended on it, like there was no tomorrow for me. I wasn't gonna stop until blood was shed. I kept punching him until Jon and Mike tried to pull me off him. I got away from him and I punched him in the face. Chris picked me up and carried me away from P.j. I was trying to get away for him but at the same time, I like the way he felt in my arms. "This ain't over bitch!" All I seen was Jon run and attack P.j. He punched him a few times before Mike came and got him. Jon walked away mad! "Hell Na! Ain't nobody finna call my baby sister no bitch!" We walked around the corner and Chris puts me down. "Are you calm now?" he asked me. I wanted to say no, but knowing Mike, I had to say yes. Chris looks at my brothers and asked, "Who are you?" The boys introduced themselves. Suddenly I feel a sharp pain going in my head. I put my head between my legs, yelling, then lifted my head. I looked at Chris and all I saw was red on his face. I knew something was wrong with mine. I look at Jon and Mike and they don't look too happy themselves. I lay down on the sidewalk and started to yell again. My head is banging!! Tears of hurt flood my eyes as the pain continued. I closed my eyes and didn't reopen them. Chris picked me up and I held onto him as they and my brothers continued walking. We arrived at Chris's house, 5 minutes later. I hear a door open and I feel the cool air in the house. I hear the door close as I feel the softness of the sofa on the side of me. I hear Chris call his dad as I heard the sound of the phone number dialing. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Then I hear 'WHAT THE FUCK!!' I knew that was Mr. Brown right away. He told Chris to get a cold rag, and the bottle of pain relievers. He asked who my brothers were and Jon and Mike introduced themselves. Mike said that my mom is on the way, and I heard Chris's footsteps coming down the stairs. I feel a cold rag on my head and it felt so good. Mr. Brown told me to sit up and drink the ginger ale and pill. I gladly took some and laid back down. Explaining this to my mom was going to be FUN! 

End Of Flashback.

I smile. That was the good old days. Just then, Ria, my BBFL, walks in. I don't trust many females,(hard to believe) but this is like my sister. She looked at me and asked, "Why are you here?" I rolled my eyes and replied, "I kicked Pearl's ass." Ria just laughed. She knows I can't STAND her. "Anyway, so why you all smiling and stuff?" I laughed. I didn't want to tell her what I was thinking about. "I'm just thinking about Chicago and how much I miss it." Just then my dad walks in, eyes all puffy. I got up and walked over to him. "Daddy?" I looked at him with concern. "What's going on?" He looked at me. "What are you in here for?" "A fight." I shrugged. "Well, did you win?" He asked. I rolled my eyes, clearly offended. "I wouldn't be sitting here if I didn't." He shook his head. He looks at Ria and he nods his head at her. "You're dodging my question. What is going on?" My dad sighed. "There's no easy way to say this. Your mother has cancer, Phyllis." My heart stopped. "Excuse me? Come again?" I asked him. "Your mom has been sick over the last 7 years. The doctors were able to get the cancer out the first time but now it's back and it's spreading and she doesn't have long to live baby girl..." I place a hand over my mouth trying not to scream. Not my mom...no. "You need to go to Chicago. You need to go home and pack. Your flight leaves in 3 hours." I nod my head again, unable to speak. Ria places a hand on my shoulder and a hand over her mouth. Just then Mike and Jon walk in. They saw Daddy and they looked my way. Mike walked over to me and hugged me. I grabbed unto him and cried. This is too much to process. 

IN CHICAGO....