Flashback- 5th Grade Continues...

Phyllis POV

While we were in the office, the principal decided to suspend the other kids for jumping on Chris. Chris and I received a warning, but that didn't matter. After the incident at the school, Chris and I were inseparable. We hung out together, spent the night at each other's house, and everything. I thought my life couldn't get any better

UNTIL...

One day after school, my mom called me downstairs. I walked downstairs to see my dad. "DADDY!" I ran up to him and gave him the biggest hug ever! We walked over to the sofa and I sat on his lap. Like old times...but I noticed by his demeanor that something was wrong and something was up. I looked at both of my parents and asked, "What's going on?" "Well baby, your mother and I decided that you should stay with me." I nod my head. "For the summer, right?" "No baby...as in you're going to stay with me from now on." My dad said. "WHAT! NO! I'm not leaving! Mama, please don't make me go." I begged her. "Phyllis! The decision has been made. You leave tomorrow morning." My dad said. "TOMORROW MORNING!!!! You didn't even wait until my school year is over!" I shouted. I looked at my mom and I saw the sadness in her eyes. I took a deep breath trying not to get mad or upset. "Where are we even moving to?" I asked. "Tappahannock, Virginia." "VIRGINIA!!!!!" I yelled. "What about my friends? What about Chris??" "Who is Chris?" Dad asked. I didn't respond. I turned around and ran out of the house. I heard my dad call me but I ignored him. I ran a block and a half until I saw this house. I ran up to the door and banged on it. "CHRIS! CHRIS!!" I yelled as I banged on the door. His dad opened the door. I ran into the house, shouted my hello's, and ran to Chris's room. He was reading some books when I ran inside and closed the door. He looked up and saw me crying. He dropped the book in a heartbeat and held out his arm. I ran into them and I began to weep on his shoulder. We walked to his bed, laid down and he held me. I didn't want to leave here. He is my best friend, my only friend. I told him that I was leaving tomorrow. "Don't think about tomorrow. Think about now." I nod my head. I didn't want to leave this spot: My head on his shoulder, hand in hand. He kissed my forehead and we fell asleep just like that.

James's POV (aka Chris's Dad)

I was on the computer composing beats together when my phone rang. "Talk to me," I answered. "Hey, James. It's Lisa. Is Phyllis over there?" "Do you even have to ask? He's hanging out with Chris." Lisa sighs and says, "I'm coming to get her." I said Ok and hung up. Something was wrong. I hung up, got up, unlocked the door, and headed to go get Phyllis. I knocked on Chris's door. After hearing nothing, I walked into his room to see Phyllis saying on his shoulder and he is laying on her head. Damn, this is a picture-perfect moment. I went into my room, got the camera that said 'Chris and Phyllis', and went back to his room. I stood there, took 2 pictures, and put the camera back in the room. Just then Lisa walked into the room. She walked into Chris's room and saw them. A tear rolled down her cheek. "My poor Phyllis." She mumbled. "Lisa, what's going on?" I asked her. " She looked at me and said, "I have cancer, James." Breathe left my body. "What?" I asked her. She nods at me. "I can't let Phyllis see me like this. She's going to Virginia to be with her father until I can be better enough to take care of her." I grabbed her hands. "Whatever you need from me, I'm here for you." She touched my face. "Thank you, James. " She looked over at the bed. "Does Phyllis know?" She shakes her head. " She doesn't know...and I'm not gonna tell her." "Lisa..." I said. "She has to know." She nods her head. "I know. I just don't think she's ready for that." She looked at Chris and Phyllis and sighed. "I hate to wake her up." I nod in agreement. "You gotta do what you gotta do." Lisa walked over to Phyllis and shook her gently. She opened her eyes and closed them again. She shook Chris lightly on the leg and he sat up. He looked at her and she looked at him and they hugged each other. Chris silently cried with Phyllis. Normally I would say Suck it up, but today is different. He's losing his best friend. They let go, and Phyllis and Lisa climbed out of his bed and they walked out of the house. Chris ran after them and stopped at the door. They got in the car and drove away. Chris ran down the driveway, and the street. He stopped at the stop sign as Lisa and Phyllis continued. Chris walked back to the house slowly and I awaited him with open arms. He ran into my arms and cried. "Daddy, tell me I'm dreaming. Tell me that my best friend didn't leave." I sighed. "I can't do that, son." I held him as he cried harder. "Daddy, I'm gonna miss her." "I know you are son but you'll see her soon." "Promise?" I looked at my son in his eyes. I don't know how I was going to do it, but I will do it. "I promise." 

7 Years Later...