She's Gone

Chris POV

I was dreaming about Pebbles. I wondered what she looked like; if she would remember me. All these thoughts flooded my mind. Suddenly I heard footsteps in Miss. Lisa's room. I didn't open my eyes cause I was too tired. Then I heard crying. "Mom.....It's me. Pebbles..." I opened my eyes to see a young girl leaning on Miss. Lisa. Could it be? I pulled the covers back and walked up and placed a hand on her shoulder. She looked up and it was Phyllis. Tears were already in her eyes. Her eyes widened. I pulled her in my arms and she broke down. I placed my head in her hair as we cried together. I missed her so much. I looked at her and wiped her tears with my thumb like I use to do. I grab her hand and Pebbles grabs her mom's hand and kissed it. She walked over to the seat and put her face in her hands. I sat beside her and comfort her the best way I knew how. "Did you know?" Pebbles asked. I shook my head. "No. I didn't know." "Pebbles?!?" We looked and we saw Miss. Lisa's eyes opened. We rushed over to the bed and Pebbles grabs her hand. "Hey, baby." Pebbles cracked. "Hey ma..." she answered. "You're not a baby anymore." Miss. Lisa smiled weakly. "I'll always be you baby. Why didn't you tell me you had cancer mom?!? I wouldn't have left you. I'm so sorry I wasn't here for you." Pebbles' voice cracked. "oh baby." Miss. Lisa said. "I'm sorry. I was selfish. I didn't want you to see me like this..." Pebbles grabbed her hands and said, "Mama, I wouldn't have left you, even if it was like this. You are my mama and you are still my superhero, Mama." "I know that now..." Miss. Lisa looks at me. "Chris? What are you doing here?" She asked me. "I had to make sure that you were ok, Mama," I replied. Miss. Lisa cracked a smile and asked, "Where's James?" "Outside the room. He wanted you and Pebbles to have your moment." I answered. I know my dad. As much as he loves Miss. Lisa, he never wanted to get in between them. "Ok. I want to talk to him. Please..." We both agreed. We walked towards the door when Pebbles turns around. "Mom... I love you," she said. "I love you Miss. Lisa." I said. Miss. Lisa replied, "I love you all too hunnybuns." We walked outside the room, got my dad, and we sat in the chairs outside her room. "Pebs, I'm so sorry," I said as I grabbed her hands. "Chris... She looks so weak...Her eyes are yellow...her face is pale..." I told her what I know. Silent tears room down her eyes again. I grab her hand and gave it a little squeeze. " That's the reason I left 7 years ago? Is there more I need to know?" I shook my head. "Not that I know of." Just then we heard the monitors sound an alarm and the doctors running down the hall and entering the room. We tried to enter but the nurse held us back. Then we heard silence. The doctors and nurses walked out of the room first, my dad following behind them, his head hung low. I looked behind him and Miss. Lisa was lifeless. "Na, MAN NA!" I shouted. Pebbles punched the wall and my dad grabs her and holds her. My heart aches for her. She just came back and the person that mattered the most in her life is gone. I walked over to them and hugged them. We stood there and just cried. Cancer officially sucks.