Brokenheartedness

Sometime in their life, almost everyone will suffer from a broken heart. Maybe a close friend betrayed you, a girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with you, your dad was never there, or your mom doesn't even know the real you.  I believe that a broken heart is one of the most painful things that you can go through in life, whether you are a Christian or not.  (Having God in your life certainly does help though).  Nevertheless, there is pain that needs to be worked through and felt (not to quote The Fault in Our Stars or anything...)

Anyways... recently this guy that I was dating for a few weeks broke up with me and handled it very badly.  I'll spare you the details.  The point is, I trusted him and was real with him, and he repaid me with lies and judgement.  As I've been trying to sort through everything the past few days, I've found some things that have been so helpful for me to realize that I have a Father in heaven who will always love me no matter what, and will never break my heart like people on Earth do.  I thought I might share some of these things with you guys in case anyone is dealing with a broken heart or painful circumstance.

1.  It is so important to first take your pain to God.  Jesus even said this: "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Just open your wounded heart to Jesus and let him take the pain and sadness you feel.  Allow His spirit to fill you up, and know that He loves you so much, more than any human person ever could.  Psalm 34 says "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whos spirits are crushed."

2.  Next, find a trusted Christian friend or relative to talk about it with, someone you know is godly and wise that can give you some spiritual guidance.  Tell them everything that happened and maybe have them pray for you as well.  It's good to tell a few different people; for me, talking about it always helps relieve some of the pain.  It's also good to go out and do things, such as exercising, going to church/youth group/bible study, hanging out with a friend, etc.  

3.  Immerse yourself in God.  Try to read the Bible, read Christian books or watch Christian videos, and listen to worship music.  (I've found that watching Jeff Bethke's videos on YouTube helps a lot.  Here is a link to his stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc4yillQaNo6a-iG2PYbbrA).

Finally, here is a passage from Isaiah 61 that has really been helping me the past few days.

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners; to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to grant those who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting.  So they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.

So, hopefully this was encouraging to anyone suffering from brokenheartedness right now.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to talk.

I love you guys!

~Haley