Rainbow After the Storm?

John

I wake up slowly feeling every ounce of pain in my body at once, and flinch.

Fluffy's conscience curls up next to mine, and whispers in our head, "Don't freak out, but this is Phonix and he is here to help... I think. We haven't gotten there yet."

I look at the man standing in front of us. He was a taller man, in his late twenties... in human years. He has dark brown hair with a hint of red. His eyes were a light orange like the whisper of an orange flower. He looked like the embodiment of fall. He seems like a normal human, but he smells... different.

I feel like I need to remember something important, but I don't remember what. What happened before I fell! What do I need to remember?

As I rack my brain for the answer, he says, "Did John wake up? If so, hello."

... "How does he know my name? Fluffy... What did you tell him?" I screech in my mind causing our body to flinch.

"I told him our names, and that there are two of us." She says back in a defensive voice. "We are in no position to fight him, and we may need his help."

"And who's fault is that. WHY DID YOU HESITATE?" I scream feeling my anger rise

"I...I DON'T WANT TO KILL PEOPLE!" Fluffy says matching my anger with her own.

As I am about to answer I hear Phonix awkwardly whistle, snapping me back into reality. If I was a human my cheeks would be as red as a tomato while I think about how stupid we must have looked not moving while we bickered inside the walls of our own mind.

"What do you want?" I say, my voice laced with annoyance.

"I saw you fall, and wanted to make sure you were okay, but I can leave if you want... or I know a witch around these parts who can help you heal, but only if you want my help." He says with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

In that second Fluffy says, "Yes," quicker than I can say no.

"Wonderful, then we might as well become better acquainted. I am Phonix... a shapeshifter." He says cautiously.

He then turns into a fox, and an image flashes in my mind of a fox I saw right before the darkness swept me in. I wish we didn't need his help, but with each breath we take we feel pain surge throughout our body.

The humans will be here soon to finish us off, so I reluctantly nod, and say, "We would appreciate it."

He then transforms back into a human and says, "Would you like me to find you food?"

"We would love a couple deer if possible." Fluffy says.

"I will be back with deer, and the old crone before you know it." He says with a wink.

With that, he takes off, and I can't help but wonder if he will really come back or not.

Author's Note

Do you think that Phonix will come back?

Thank you to all of the people reading this book!

We would love some feedback on how you feel about the characters, so that we can understand what you like and dislike about the book so we know what to put in the future!!!