016

-✾ CHAPTER SIXTEEN | When I was younger.

"Let us play a game."

The second eldest son reaches underneath the handchair and pulls out a box that he puts down on the low table. He clicks it open, revealing to Totoko that it's filled to the brim with all similar looking and coloured chips.

Chips?

Are these all... election votes?!

"I have one hundred here."

He picks one single chip up and eyes its recto and verso admiratively before flipping it in the air. He catches it in a flash and holds up his two hands, curled up into tight fists.

"Guess in which hand this chip rests."

Totoko blinks.

What?

"Get it right and you win one hundred votes." He extends his two fists towards her. "Get it wrong and you lose your single chip."

Totoko eyes Karamatsu incredulously and shuffles closer to the back of the couch. Noticing her confusion, he decides to speak up before she can.

"I have been thinking about you for quite a while now, Totoko." He confesses. "The thought of your recent behavior has occupied my mind for days and it wouldn't stop."

The choice of words has gotten her cringing to the max, but she's still curious as to what he's referring to.

"What... are you talking about?"

Karamatsu lets out his signature "Hn." and fixes his shades. He lowers his head and rolls his eyes up at her.

"Totoko, I know it is all because you know us sextuplets ever since childhood, but you are one of the rare few at Osaka's Private Academy that'd dare stand up against the president."

Totoko blinks in realisation.

That's what he's talking about...

Still, if I had to choose, I'd rather lose my election votes to [Name].

"Ever since the information reached my ears, I've been thinking." Karamatsu hums. "Could it be some sense of cowardice? No, it couldn't be that. Maybe a lack of discretion? Not that either. Perhaps a sense of justice? Maybe."

He lowers his fists to his knees.

"That's how I've come to two hypothesises," He raises a finger, showing her the back of his hand as to not reveal wether it's the hand where he's hiding the chip. "and after some further thinking, I thought mixing up both hypothesises was the right answer to your behavior."

Totoko frowns and clenches her jaw.

"It's a mix of selfishness, revenge and perhaps a tinge of jealousy." He pushes up his shades before proceeding. "You, Yowai Totoko, do not want to stoop down to anyone, and you've proved it plenty last year. However, judging from the way he has handled you, you could only seek revenge towards a man as him."