Chapter 1 || A Celebration, A Brownie and A Cloak

6 years later; present time.

"I already told you, I can't teach you magic."

"Please? You taught me how to read witch symbols, how hard could it be teaching me some spells?"

"It isn't like that and you know it." I smiled and shook my head lightly at my now 13-year-old friend, Jessica.

"Honestly, what's the point of my best friend being a witch if she can't even teach me how to cast a simple light spell."

"Okay, one; Magic is genetic, I can't just teach you to 'repeat after me' in hopes that you'll get it. And two; just fix your lamp so you can read in the dark."

"But that's not fun!" Jessica groaned while I laughed at her little problem.

A few days ago, Jessica dropped her lamp and now she can't read in her room in the dark anymore. I told her she should just go to her brother, but apparently if she asks him to fix it, he'll end up getting her a new advanced one and she'll end up getting lectures by him and his friends.

"Don't you have archery practice today?" I asked her in confusion. Jessica shook her head.

"It got cancelled because everyone's busy preparing for the big Charleston Celebration tomorrow night."

The Charleston Celebration is a big festival where the whole Kingdom celebrated the day Charleston was found. I've always wanted to go and have fun, but if my mother find out I'd be in so much trouble.

"Hey, why don't you join me this year?" Jessica suddenly asked, sitting up on her elbows from her lying position on the ground.

"I don't know..." I sighed, I really wanted to, but I didn't want to put myself or Jessica in danger in case someone found out about my powers. Jessica told me about how people are really judgemental of those who are different of themselves. Kind of rubbish if you ask me.

"Please? You could always wear your coat, and I can always tell everyone you're from a foreign Kingdom."

But it wasn't the people I was worried about, it was me; a witch. Something not so easily acceptable here.

"A-alright." I complied and Jessica brightened.

"Really?!"

"Yeah, sure. Why not?" I smiled.

"Yes!" Jessica jumped up and starting bouncing around in delight. I laughed along with her, her optimism becoming contagious. "Okay, wear something pretty, preferably a dress. And bring your hood! And your grimoire just in case."

I smiled while she rambled on.

I couldn't wait for tomorrow night.

~x~

I don't want to go tonight.

This was a big mistake.

"You'll be fine, Sang. We'll have fun tonight, I'll mostly just show you around town, maybe take a look at the markets."

"I- but what if someone finds out?" I lifted my finger to my mouth.

"No one will find out if you just don't use your magic, it'll be fine." Jessica tried to reassure me.

"Okay..." I nodded my head and Jessica cheered. "But if something goes wrong or if you leave me all by yourself, I'll personally turn your bow into a frog."

Jessica laughed at my joke and took my hand in hers. She led me to the border of the forest and up ahead I saw the giant bridge gate of the opening to the Charleston Kingdom. Nerves bubbled up inside of me and I tried desperately to ignore them, but the sound of people and cheering made them resurface a thousand times stronger.