Chapter 21 - Repentance

After studying the scene, it was inevitable to both Sherlock and John, that the scene would not be a quick cover up. There were bodies across the ground and John was still in shock about the fact that Sherlock had pulled the trigger. Sherlock was going to be locked up indefinitely for this and John wouldn't be able to get him out of this one. The great Sherlock Holmes had slipped out of his mind for a second and killed people. John had never believed that Sherlock was actually capable of killing people before.

After a while of debating what to do, John wrapped Sherlock's scarf around his hand and wiped all evidence from the gun. He then buried it away from the crime scene before he moved the bodies around. He derived a plan to make it look like a deal gone bad kind of murder, which meant placing the bodies around each other to look like a crime scene. Sherlock called in a favour from his homeless network, asking for drugs to plant at the scene. This way the police would find it and think the situation was a drug deal gone bad. John used the scarf to take the minions guns and place them in their hands to look like they shot each other.

Sherlock gave the scene a once over and when he and John were satisfied they were in the clear, they left in the darkness towards home. Sherlock had called in another favour with his homeless network which meant that they would give the anonymous tip off about the bodies to the police. Sherlock could not do it himself because he couldn't risk Mycroft tracing the call back to him.

As they reached home, John and Sherlock rushed passed Mrs. Hudson's flat and quickly shut the door of 221b behind them.

"I am so sorry I got you mixed up in my mess." Sherlock apologized.

"It's okay, Sherlock. You came for me and that is all that matters right now. We need to destroy the clothes we are wearing and shower." John advised Sherlock.

Even though Sherlock made people see him as a heart of steel sociopath, John could see through it. He looked generally terrified right now. So John quickly walked over to Sherlock and wrapped his arms around him. Sherlock didn't move at first but eventually he held John in a hug and buried his face in his shoulder.

"We will be alright Sherlock, I promise." John sighed.

Sherlock cleared his throat and stepped away from John, mouthing 'Shower' as he walked away.

John nodded and exhaled. He worried about the consequences of this on Sherlock, himself and the people he cared for. If anyone found out, then even Mycroft would not be able to help the situation. They would be convicted for killed for sure. The tower of London would be lining up to bring back beheading again especially for their conviction.

John frowned and sighed, he didn't want to do time and he sure as hell didn't want to die. Just as he was thinking it all over, Sherlock came back into the room newly dressed and handed John his old clothes to burn.

"Make sure they can't be found. " Sherlock warned.

John simply nodded and headed to the bathroom where he showered and changed. He then headed out the back of the house to dispose of his and Sherlock's clothing in a place he couldn't be seen.

He had watched as their clothes burnt to ash in the bottom of a barrel, before he buried the ash.

Then once he was satisfied, he headed back into 221b where Sherlock was waiting.

"Did you do it right?" Sherlock asked in a panicky tone.

John simply nodded and frowned.

"I'll get you a new coat, I promise. I'm sorry that I had to burn yours." he sympathized.

Sherlock smiled and nodded.

"It's okay. It's just a coat. I'd rather have lost that than you." he grinned.

John let out a small chuckle as he saw Sherlock grin. He loved that grin because he never saw it often. As he chuckled he flopped onto the sofa and lay facing Sherlock.

"Come here." John asked in a slightly demanding tone.

Sherlock followed command and moved towards John. As he reached the chair, John pulled him on top of him, where he enclosed him in his arms.

Sherlock tried to protest but John held him tightly in his arms, never wanting to let go. This brought a slight smile to both of there lips as they gazed at each other.

" Sherlock... Please be careful. I am terrified of losing you, when I have only just got you. I couldn't cope without you in my life." John explained.

His facial expression changed to worry as he thought about Sherlock being gone.

He never wanted to go back to being alone again.

Sherlock leant forward uncharacteristically and kissed John lightly on the lips. It was a slow and very heartfelt kiss. It was a very rare thing for him to do, as John always made the first move. This made John place his arms around Sherlock's neck, pulling his lips harder against his own.

As John did this, Sherlock emitted a guttural groan.

John buried his fingers in Sherlock's hair causing his back to arch. Sherlock responded by kissing John harder and harsher, his hips grinding against him.

They pulled their lips apart for a few seconds so that they could breathe and their eyes met again.

"John... I need you so badly. I thought that I had lost you and would never get to see your face again." Sherlock panted, reaching to trace John's lips with his fingertip.

John kissed Sherlock's palm, flashing him a soothing smile.

"You won't lose me. I need you too much, so selfishly I'll always come back. You can't rid me that easily." John chuckled.

Sherlock loosened the tension from in his body as he heard John's reassurance.

He simply answered.

"Okay."

This caused John to smile wider as he impatiently pulled Sherlock's lips back against his own. The kiss was impatient and needy, exactly how they both felt right now. It felt good to be holding each other.

They soon pulled apart and fell asleep beside each other, exhausted from the days events.