Chapter 24 - Outcome

John awoke to a doctor staring over him. He let out a sudden cry as he realised he had survived the operation. He was alive.

The doctor smiled down at him.

"How are you feeling? The operation went really well and you shouldn't need too much radiation therapy. You will feel sore for a while but we'll give you something for that." He smiled.

John smiled back and wiped at the happy tears in his eyes.

"I am just happy to have opened my eyes. I really thought I wasn't going to make it." John exclaimed happily.

"You're doing very well indeed. I'll leave you to wake up and someone will be in to give you your breakfast." The doctor informed him.

John nodded, propping himself carefully up on the pillow.

"I'll be okay." He whispered to himself.

                                       ...

Three weeks passed of various radiation sessions and John got better everyday. He finally managed to walk around after a week so he got to go outside for a breath of fresh air.

He had called Sherlock everyday to let him know that he was okay and each time it broke his heart to say goodbye. John really wanted to hold Sherlock there in his arms but he'd have to wait until he got discharged.

The thought of seeing Sherlock at home, spurred John to push himself to get better. So now be was doing really well.

The doctor entered the room and held his thumbs up.

"The test results are back and you are clear! Congratulations Dr. Watson, you can go home today." The doctor informed him chipperly.

John burst out laughing and shook his head in disbelief.

"Are you being serious? No more radiation? " he asked softly.

"No you are fine to go home. I'll get your medicine and then you can go."

The doctor left and John got dressed carefully, as not to disturb his stitched. He couldn't believe he could finally go home. He'd been waiting for this moment for weeks, to see his one true love.

The doctor handed over the medication and explained that John may be ill for a few days as his body recovers from the radiation, but he should feel better when he takes the medication. With that said, the doctor discharged John and wheeled him to the taxi.

John climbed in happily and headed straight back home to Baker Street, to sherlock.

Once he had arrived, he paid the driver and slowly edged out of the taxi, wincing because of the pain from the operation scar. It would take a while to heal so he had to be patient and careful.

He had no idea if Sherlock would be in so he made his way up the stairs to 221b as slow as he needed. It left him out of breath so he lowered himself onto the sofa.

"Sherlock?" he called out.

But no one answered, so he took a nap in the comfort of his home. It felt good to be eneveloped by the warmth of this house, the feeling of belonging felt nice to him.

When he awoke he saw Sherlock staring over him. It was rather scary to wake up to and he jumped causing him to wince.

"Ow... Sherlock what the hell are you doing?" He asked out of curiosity.

"Waiting for you to wake up. Why did you wince? Did you hurt yourself whilst you were away?" Sherlock asked, actually genuinely concerned.

"Yeah, something like that. I played a game of football with some buddies and I fell, pulling my muscle in my groin. I had it checked out and it is fine." John lied, trying to soothe Sherlock's curious mind.