Chapter 23: Removal

John arrived at the hospital in time for his appointment with the oncologist. He was terrified because he knew what would be happening soon and what could be the outcome.

He shuffled on the chair in the waiting room, clenching his fists in his pockets. He wanted someone there but he could not ask Sherlock. This was simply something Sherlock would not be helpful with.

John remembered back to a few weeks ago, when he was seeing a doctor friend of his for a routine monthly health check-up. He was laying on the table getting a prostate exam, the usual procedure when the doctor stopped and sighed deeply. The doctor pulled his gloves off and asked John to pull his trousers up, then join him at his desk.

John obliged as asked and sat by the desk awaiting the news. He could tell it was bad from the look on his friend's face.

" Please just tell me straight out." John requested.

"During the examination... I found an abnormal lump in your left testicle. Everything else was fine but that lump felt bad. I'm don't mean to scare you and jump to conclusions, but I think you should get it checked out as it feels like cancer." The doctor advised carefully.

John nodded and cleared his throat, unable to speak. He bit his lip and raised his eyebrows as he thought about it. Finally he took a deep breath and nodded.

"I understand. Thank you, Sam. I guess I'll just go and...sort things out." John said slowly, half in denial.

He had left the room and knew that Sherlock could not know about this. Hence back to the current day, he was sat by himself in the oncology unit.

"Dr. Watson, to room 3 please." Called the tannoy.

John grabbed his bag, took a deep breath, and stood up. He walked slowly into room 3 and shut the door behind himself, ready to hear his fate.

The oncologist asked him to sit and immediately John was taken through all of the tests needed to diagnose him correctly.

The tests took a few hours and John was admitted to his own private hospital room which comes as a perk of being a doctor.

He soon had got bored and was worried of waiting, so he plugged his phone in to charge and waited until his screen flashed on. There on the screen was:

-2 missed calls from Sam (Doctor).

- 1 text message from Molly Hooper.

- 10 missed calls from Sherlock.

- 15 text messages from Sherlock.

- 1 missed call from Mrs. Hudson.

John nestled up on his bed and read through the messages first.

The first one from Molly, simply read:

"Need info about you and Sherlock, coming to my birthday bash next month. RSVP should be soon so I know numbers.

Much love, from Molly. X"

John simply replied:

"We will be there, I promise you. - JW. X "

John decided he would deal with all of the calls later and went on to read the messages from Sherlock. They read:

" John, you forgot your briefcase. Don't you need it? - SH"

"Oh, never mind. I managed to get it unlocked...you may need a new lock. But it was empty anyway, so ignore my previous text. - SH"

"John, we need milk so bring some home okay? - SH"