Chapter 25 - Normality

Three weeks passed and John was regaining his strength. He didn't need any extra radiation therapy and all tests showed he was clear of the cancer.

Mrs. Hudson had visited everyday and made Sherlock and John food, so that they were eating properly. Of course Sherlock never ate it.

At night times, Sherlock always came into John's room, where they held each other until they fell asleep. He had become rather over protective too, making sure that John was not carrying heavy stuff and making sure that he didn't go anywhere alone.

John had grown tired of Sherlock being so protective though, he wanted him to be himself, doing the stuff he loves, solving things.

So now as John woke to see Sherlock watching him on the bed, he sighed and told Sherlock straight.

"Okay, Sherlock, I have had enough of the over-protective behaviour, I am okay now. You don't have to follow me everywhere and lift things for me, I need to do them myself. But mainly I need you to be yourself because you haven't carried out a single experiment or case in the last 3 weeks. I'm beginning to worry about you. Please just focus a bit more on what makes you happy." He said, taking Sherlock's hands in his own.

Sherlock shuffled around on the bed, looking offended by John's words.

"I am just caring for my partner, who almost died and...left me. I don't mind not doing experiments or cases, as long as I get to spend a lot more time with you. I like us 'hanging out' together." Sherlock replied, insistently.

John shook his head and clambered out of the bed to get dressed.

" We can hang out whenever you like Sherlock. We just don't have to be around each other 24/7, we both have seperate parts of life to lead. Starting with me going back to work." He said, carefully slipping the news to Sherlock, that he was going back to work.

Sherlock picked up on the comment immediately of course and tried to argue against it.

" Work? John you can't go back yet, you're hur-" he began.

But John interrupted him, he was almost fully dressed in his work clothes, equipped with briefcase.

"I am mostly okay Sherlock! The doctors signed me off to go back to work and I have medication for the slight pain. I won't push myself too far and I will come straight home if I feel too unwell. I promise you Sherlock, I will return home to you, safe and sound. I am not going to die." John soothed Sherlock.

Sherlock went quiet and finally nodded in approval.

"Okay." Was all Sherlock whispered.

John kissed him on the cheek before whispering 'I love you' in his ear.

Sherlock nodded and said it back, before painfully watching John hurry off down the stairs to work, fully dressed in a suit.

He hated John leaving, it meant he had to be alone and alone is no fun at all. But he did have a case to work on, so he got on with it.

Meanwhile John was sat at work, tending to patients and putting up with well wishes from staff members. He didn't want any fuss, but staff were adamant on giving it to him. There wasn't much he could do about it, but just accept it.

By the end of his day he was exhausted and a little sore from being on his feet all day. He couldn't wait to get home, so he clocked off and packed his briefcase up ready to leave.

As he grabbed his coat there was a knock on the door, which startled him.

"Come in." He commanded.