Chapter 3 - Embarrassment tea break

• Dedicated to Amber Quarterly

At midday Sherlock, pulled on his dressing gown and wandered into the bathroom to brush his teeth. But as he opened the door of the bathroom he let out a gasp and an apology as he quickly shut it again.

"John! I am sorry I didn't know you were in there!" he stuttered.

"Sherlock, what happened to privacy?!"

"I apologise John. I'll just uh...make tea."

Sherlock quickly walked to the kitchen and rested against the counter. Suddenly he burst out laughing, he couldn't help it. The shock of the situation was setting him off.

He made the tea and left John's on the counter. It didn't take long to finish his own, so he washed up his cup and wandered to his room to get dressed.

When he was getting his last shoe on his phone rang. He looked at the display as it flashed 'Unknown' he knew exactly who it was. He answered and pressed the phone to his ear.

"Magnussen, what do you want?" Sherlock tried to keep his voice firm.

"You work for me, remember?"

Magnussen's voice was intimidating even on the phone. It just made Sherlock agitated.

"Yes. I remember very clearly"

"Good. I have a job for you. Hurry up and get here, I don't like to be kept waiting"

"I'll be there soo-" Sherlock began to answer Magnussen, but he'd already hung up.

Sherlock pulled on his coat and scarf before he walked out to the front room.

John was waiting for him by the kitchen door frame, looking a little nervous. He cleared his throat.

"Thanks for the...tea. It was very nice" He spoke slowly.

"You are most welcome John. I'll er...see you later." Sherlock didn't look at John as he spoke.

"Where are you going?"

"Out for business."

"Business?"

"Yes John, business. It's my work remember?"

"I wouldn't call what you do 'business'" John adopted a suspicious look.

"I told one of my homeless network that I would help them with a private case. Now I need to go."

"Okay, Sherlock. Well I'm going out somewhere too."

"Good for you, John"

Sherlock nodded at John, before he headed out down the stairs. He closed the door quietly behind himself. John called out behind Sherlock knowing he wouldn't hear.

"Don't expect me to be waiting around for you when I get back, I have a life to get on with too." John's voice came out as a sort of deflated whisper.

He pulled on his coat and took a deep breath as he locked up 221B. He had to work too today, in his doctor's surgery. It was usually a nice release for him though, to be doing what he knows. He and Sherlock were not doing consulting together anymore, because Sherlock had told John to focus on his real work. John had protested but Sherlock always got his way.

John hailed a taxi, taking a look at 221 behind him. He smiled and got into the cab, but he wasn't going to work...