Prompt #13

Prompt: You should do it from tiny Adams pov and show how he feels ignored and neglected in favor of the new baby

----------------------------------

                Seven year old Adam Constance furrowed his brow as he looked at the math problem in front of him. His father sat and watched him patiently.

                "Think about it, Adam. You know how to do this. Break the problem down if you have to," Constance said.

                Adam hesitated before trying to break the problem down. He peeked up at his dad, but Constance shook his head.

                "No, I'm not going to tell you if it's wrong until you're all done. If it's wrong, we'll go through and fix it together," he said. "You have to learn how to be independent, even if you make mistakes in the process."

                Adam took a deep breath and thought about the problem. The answer danced around the edge of his mind, and he tried to focus on it.

                But he jumped in surprise as a piercing cry came from the living room. Constance turned his head in the direction.

                "Abby?" he called.

                "I'm helping your daughter with her science experiment," Abby called back.

                Constance stood up and Adam watched him leave the room. He returned a minute later with the baby in his arms.

                Adam tried to ignore his baby brother, but Leon just kept crying. He let out a frustrated noise, glaring at his brother.

                "Dad, I can't focus!" he complained.

                Constance shot him a stern look. "He's a baby, Adam. I couldn't focus when you'd cry, either. I didn't complain."

                Adam winced and dropped his gaze. Constance tried to soothe Leon, speaking gentle words to him and bouncing him a little.

                Adam tried to tune out the baby and do his work. He broke down the problem until the numbers made some sense, and wrote out his answer.

                "I finished it," he said, pushing the paper towards his dad.

                "Yea, hang on," Constance said, pushing the paper back and standing up. "Abby, he's hungry, I think. He never cries like this unless he's hungry."

                Abby came out and hurried over to the kitchen sink, washing her hands and arms. She dried off and took the baby from Constance, smiling.

                "Are you hungry, Lee?" she said, kissing his head. "I'll feed him. Can you help Caroline? I don't want her to make too much of a mess."

                "But dad-" Adam started.

                "No buts. Your work can wait. Caroline needs my help more," Constance said, leaving the room.

                "Mom, can you-" Adam started.

                "Not right now, Adam. I haveto feed your brother," Abby said, also leaving the room.

                Adam glared at his paper. It had been like this even before the stupid baby was born. When his mom was pregnant, his dad was so busy taking care of the house, helping Caroline, and taking care of Abby that he never had time for Adam.