6

Rebecca

I rest my elbows on the counter by the cash register and lay my head in my hands. For the first time in three hours the diner has had less than ten people inside it. Janice lays her hand on my shoulder, "You'd think even after twelve years of doing this job I would be used to it always being crowded." I tilt my head to look at her, "Nope, still not used to it." She chuckles.

I stand up and wipe my hands on my apron, "Isn't scary how we just expect the rush and the line out the door? You know?" She holds her plastic cup of water to her mouth, "I mean like its never been this dead since I started working here five months ago." Janice smiles with her eyes as she looks at me over top of her glass.

I put some hair behind my ear, "I love you darlin'." Janice smiles, "I love you too J." She waves me off as she makes her way back in the kitchen, "Excuse me, miss?" I turn around and see a couple with their two kids, "How can I help y'all?" She smiles, "Are you guys still open?" I nod, "Of course." I walk around the counter and stop at the end of the bar to grab some menu's, "I can sit y'all right over here?" I stand next to a booth and lean onto one of the booth chairs, "This is perfect."

They all begin to sit down and get comfortable as I lay the menus on the table, "Now what can I get you all to drink?" I say resting my hands on my sides, "Apple juice!" The two kids say at once, "I'll have a water please." The younger woman says smiling, "Another water please." I nod and take a couple steps back.

I go into the kitchen and begin to make up their drinks when I hear the bells on the front door ring signalling someone just came in. I carry the drinks carefully out trying not to drop any, "Okay so here's your drinks." I sit down the drinks as Janice takes the other table, "Are you ready to order?" The dad gives me a small smile, "Can we have another few minutes?" I nod, "Take as long as you need, I'll be around." I smile and back away from the table.

"Come on Janice!"  A man laughs, "Listen to me, I said no." She smiles sheepishly crossing her arms over her chest.

I pull out my phone from my back pocket, 6:58. I get off at seven, actually I was supposed to get off at noon, but one of the other waitresses didn't show. I mean its not like I was actually doing anything, I was just gonna sit down at watch a movie or two while eating a whole bag of popsicles.

I accomplish so much, can't you tell? I walk over to Janice, "Hey can you take over that table? It's my time to go." She nods, "Of course." I smile and walk behind the counter to clock out, "Lord knows you need sleep." Janice laughs, "What does that mean?" I joke clocking out on the front screen, "Sixteen hours of waitressing doesn't look good on me?" I smile as I look out the front door and see the familiar black charger.

I walk around the corner, "Bye everybody." I wave walking out and to the charger. I see the passenger side window roll down, "Hey you gotta get in the back." I see an older woman in the front seat, "That's fine." I give a sleepy smile and get into the backseat.

I go back into the bathroom and hide away in one of the stalls. I lock the door and close my eyes as my heart begins to race. The pain in my stomach grows at I dry heave tears. I sit down on the toilet seat and feel the tears slide down my face.

There's always two sides to a story.

Andre

I wait for Becca to get in and buckle up before changing gears, I watch her doze off in the backseat. Her head is resting on the frame of the door, her body slumping down in the seat.

Yup she's out.

"I didn't realize she didn't have a car sweetheart." My mom says looking at me, "No ma, she has one it's in the shop." I scratch the back of my neck, "What happened?" She asks curiously. I glance back in my mirror to see Becca sleeping, "We were driving back to her hotel room when it just caught fire." Her eyes grow two sizes as her hand flies to her mouth, "Like right in the middle of the road, it was crazy."

It was crazy and well the car is no more, "Are you two okay?" I nod, "Yeah it was months ago, but until she gets some money saved up she's staying with me." My mom nods, "That's sweet of you."  Here we go, "So I assume you've already slept together?" I shift in my seat, "Mom." She gasps, "So you're telling me, if I walk into this apartment she's not going to have some of her things just laying around? Come on Andre you can't possibly believe I'm that dumb."

I sigh shaking my head, "Just for your information we haven't slept together." She smirks looking out the window, "But you sleep in the same bed." I roll my eyes and pull into the apartment complex. I park near the stairs, "And how did you come to that conclusion?" I ask putting the car in park and take my foot off the gas pedal, "None of her things were in your spare room." I run my tongue over my teeth, "Did you forget that we stopped here earlier?" She laughs.

I take a deep breath, "Just get your keys and carry the poor girl." I look in the back seat and see she has shuffled her body to get comfortable. I take out the keys and walk to the opposite side of the car. I open the back door and unbuckle her from the seat, she groans as I pull her out. I grab the backs of her thighs picking her up, she wraps her small arms around my neck and loosely wraps her legs around my body.

In one of my hands holds her purse, poor thing is still wearing her apron. I close the door using my foot, "She's really asleep isn't she?" I nod softly as she nuzzles her face in my neck. I walk up the small flight of steps to my place, "How long was she working for?" I adjust her so I can unlock the door, "I dropped her off at three this morning." My mom's jaw drops open, "Sixteen hours?!" She yells in a hushed tone, "No wonder she fell asleep in the car."

"You two go to bed alright, I'm off to bed too." My mom pushes the door open and then pushes me in, "It's been a long day."

Later that night...

I wake up to Becca shuffling in the bed, she has her face squished against the pillow. She looks good in my shirt, maybe even better than I do. God I love her.

Wait did I just?

Good thing I said it in my head, its way too early for the 'L' word.

But I do love her, the love just grows every single damn day.

I wipe my face and use the camera on my phone to see if any makeup ran or messed up. Luckily it's just a few stray tears, why am I crying you ask? Because I'm scared to death.

I'm scared that he'll take one look at me and walk out.

I'm scared to even see the way his eyes don't hold the same shine they once did when he looked at me.

I shake off all the negative thoughts as I open the stall door and look at myself in the mirror. I look decent for the storm I'm about to walk into. I open the door and ignore him.