Chapter 9

I woke up really late, and no one bothered to wake me up for the last day of training. I was really angry, because that was so unfair, and just as I was standing up, a pang of pain caught up in my leg to my ankle. I looked under the cotton sheets and saw my swollen leg. Then I felt myself, sweaty and hot. I have a fever.

The Avox girl went in, gave me a smile, and gave me a tray of food. My breakfast is bacon and eggs, perfectly cooked and still hot, alongside with some brown liquid. I thanked her and she gave me a capsule and a note that says, “Drink after breakfast and the swelling and fever will get down.” Judging from the handwriting, it’s from Ilignma.

I chugged down the eggs, saving the precious bacon to the last. It’s so crispy and just perfect, and it’s the second time I’ve tasted bacon in my 16 years of existence. I slurped some brown liquid, and it’s the best thing I have ever tasted. It’s sweet and tasty, it’s warm, makes you feel great. The words in the cup spell something. “Hot chocolate”, I read out loud. I hushed, thinking how Suezette will love this. I’d make arrangements to ilignma to send Suezette some of this sinfully delicious hot chocolate if I die.

After I drank my cup of heaven, I popped the capsule in my mouth, drank water, and took a bath. I rushed to get dressed, I wanted to see Marvel now.  After that, Ilignma led me to the training center, and I saw in the watch that I was two hours late. I shrugged it off eventually.

“Hey”, Marvel whispered in my ear. I was surprised of his sudden appearance, in public.i ran off to the camouflage station and he obediently followed me.

“We were in public. The careers may see you.” I said. He lingered his hand in my hips and twirled me around, a burst of laughter escaped his lips. My face went ‘Huh?’

“Says the girl who can’t wear a shirt right side up.” He managed to say, before he literally rolled on the floor laughing, clutching his  side. I looked at my shirt, and I quickly panicked.

“Well, I hurried just to see you!” I said,  removing my shirt  and putting it on right. Marvel was still laughing .

“Ow, I am honored.” He chuckled. He kissed me and I returned it. Then he let go.

“Better train or else we’ll never win.” He said, running off.

I tried to camouflage my arm, but it ends up in a mess. I watched Peeta, from District 12, get into the camouflage station. He feels at home in the station, his hands lingering the mud and the paint. In minutes, his hand was just like the bark of the tree, and I could tell he’s an artist. His hand completely disappears.

I wandered off from station to station, hoping to learn new things from the instructor. Marvel gave an occasional wink, and I returned it. I was famished after traning, and we gather in the dinner table to discuss about our training.

After dinner, Chriva called me aside.

“Marvel’s in the patio. Meet him now.”

Without further ado, I ran towards the patio. There’s Marvel, and we hugged instantly.