Chapter 18

I ran towards the Cornucopia. I really have an awful headache, and the running isn’t helping. I rested under a tree, and I drank water. It was really nice of Glimmer to play dumb, just to save me. I owe her big time.

I walked and jogged, occasionally walk near berries, I scoop some up, and eat them along the way. The forest is abundant with Pea berries, the ones with the distinctly green color, but the insides are deep violet. They taste sweet and very filling to the stomach.

I feel sick sometimes, and when I puke, I carefully conceal it with leaves and dirt, to prevent the other tributes to discover my tracks.

I finally reach the cornucopia, and I snatched a few meat strips in their stash. Nobody is guarding it, apparently. The careers arrived shortly, and I frantically scurried to the bushes. I peeked through the bushes. It’s almost afternoon, and I could tell they have been hunting through the night. Glimmer slumped into the tent, and Cato is cleaning his sword, covered in blood. I wonder who’s blood that was. Peeta was just sitting down, watching as everyone do their thing. Corral talks with Clove, who apparently is wearing her wet clothes and is rummaging through the supplies for spare clothes I think. Marvel is looking around, maybe looking for me. I move around a little, and Marvel saw me and locked eyes with me. He’s mouthing me something. I can’t figure it out.

“Guys, I think I saw the bushes move. I’ll go check on it.” Marvel said. The others nodded in unison as he got up and grabbed his spear. I moved a little closer.

“Hey, find a comfortable place tonight. The others will hunt and return, so better sleep. I’m on guard, so we can spend some time together.” He kissed me and he returned, shaking his head to Cato.

“Nothing’s there. Maybe just a squirrel or something.”

Late afternoon came, they woke up from their slumber. By then, I have collected some berries and roots, rationed my food for Marvel, and untie my hair. I put it in a bun and I returned to my hiding place.