Chapter 9.

Come home. I have something I want to discuss with you. Text me the second you are leaving.

I glared down at my mom's text, annoyed that she broke up the most amazing night I have had in such a long time.

I peered up at Wes, feeling extremely guilty. He gave me a questioning look in return.

"Wes, I am so sorry but my mom needs me home now. Is there any way I can get ride?"

Without hesitation, Wes jumped to his feet, pulling me up alongside him.

"Absolutely." He greeted me by the car door with his wide smile and kind eyes. Ugh, why is he so gorgeous. Maybe this is what a real guy is. Maybe he's different.

Allowing me to get settled, he gently closed the car door. It was fairly quiet the entire ride home, as I was processing all the information from today. I wonder what he was thinking about.

"Thanks so much, Wes. I owe you." I turned to walk towards my door.

"Yes, you certainly do," I could feel his eyes on my back. "Will I see you tomorrow?"I slowly turned, giving a look of confusion. "You know! At the summer kickoff beach barbecue!"

Righhhhhht. Completely forgot.

I smiled as I turned to walk into the house. "I don't know. I guess you will have to wait and see." His slight laugh echoed in the street, and it was as if I could feel him playfully shaking his head.

I quietly opened the door, being careful to not disturb anyone. My mom was already waiting for me, comfortably relaxing in our living room.

With a guy.

"Mom?"

"Oh hi honey! Meet Dustin! He's my new boyfriend!"

Oh my God is she serious right now? Another guy? Dustin? What kind of name is Dustin?

Dustin rose to shake my hand. I reluctantly gave my hand, and the awkwardness really started to set in.

"Wow, mom. I didn't realize you met someone else."

Mom glared at me through her glasses, but did her best to proceed. I took a large drink of my water, attempting to distract myself.

"Yes, honey! I know I told you about Dustin! Being as he's moving in here next week!"

I guess I hadn't distracted myself completely, seeing as the water shot straight out of my mouth and onto Dustin.

"Sorry, WHAT?" I roared. "I haven't even met the guy yet and he's moving in?!"  I shot straight up out of my chair.

Looking back, honestly, poor Dustin. He hadn't yet been accustomed to the regular conversation (argument) that my mom and I continually have on the subject.

"I'm going to bed."

And with that, I stormed up to my room and slammed the door.