Chapter 12.

Beeeeeep. Beeeeeeep. Beeeeeeep.

The steady sound of the heart rate monitor echoed in my ear, as my blurry vision attempted to adjust to my surroundings.

My eyes darted around the room. What happened? Why am I here? 

Just as I attempted to sit up, I shifted my gaze to my bedside. A huge smile crept onto my face.

It was Wes. He took my hand, gently caressing my fingers as I beamed at him.

"Ley, please wake up. Ley, I need you here with me."

Confusion filled my mind. What was he talking about? He couldn't see that I was staring back at him? But I quickly realized, I was floating in my subconscious. 

It was as if I was a ghost. I could hear everything that he was saying, but I wanted to scream when I realized that he couldn't hear or see me.

"Ley, I never should have let you go. I should have gone with you." He shook his head in disbelief. He quietly whispered, "It should have been me."

Tears began to take form in his piercing blue eyes. 

"I am so sorry I have been such a jerk. Geez, all these years later, I try and make it up to you, and I can't even tell you that I-" he trailed off. "I lo-" 

Suddenly my mom came rushing through the door, interrupting Wes' vocalized thoughts. 

"How's she doing, Wes?"

"I don't know, she hasn't woke up yet."

"Oh, my sweet daughter." She began to sob. "God, I don't know how I am going to tell her that Harlow's gone."

What?! What did she mean gone?!

Wes paused, shooting my mom a look of both concern and confusion. "What? Harlow died?!"

"Yes, along with her boyfriend. Leia was the only one who showed a slight glimmer of hope. She still had a heartbeat." And with that, my mom broke down again. She left the room, as she couldn't keep herself somewhat composed. 

Wes sunk down next to me, this time, on the edge of my bed. Tears began to pour down his face. 

"Ley. I need you. And right now, you need somebody too." He paused. Suddenly, he leaned over, planting a long, soft kiss on my forehead. 

"I know that everyone has abandoned you, including myself. Who am I kidding? I was the first one to leave. But I want- I need you to know that I am not going anywhere. I will never leave you. God, I don't know what I would do without you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

" I freaking love you, Leia."

A piercing noise radiated from my heart rate monitor, jolting Wes from his daze. 

My heart rate began to spike.