Chapter 4.

"I mean, I just don't get it Har. This guy has been the biggest player since middle school, and then suddenly he decides to cop out this year on one girl?!" I look at Harlow with exasperated frustration.

"Wait, wait, wait. I thought you said that this is what you wanted? That you didn't want that kind of attention, especially from him?" Harlow questioned.

"No, no I know. It is don't get me wrong. It's not that. I'm just confused is all." I leaned back, continuing to attempt to reason with myself. "Honestly, I think I know why he didn't follow through," I respond after a brief moment of silence.

"Really? Why?"

"It's because he obviously doesn't think that I am worth his time or effort," I respond quietly.

"Now Ley. You darn well know that's not true, and as my best friend, I never want to hear you say that!" She shifted over and gave me a tight hug, consoling me in the best way she knows how. I don't deserve her.

After a long five minutes of silence, a thought flashes through my mind.

"We used to be friends, you know," I state solemnly.

Harlow didn't even have a response, just a confused stare, initiating me to proceed.

"Wesley and I. We used to be friends. The first year of middle school, we were so close. We practically did everything together. We were so tight. We shared secrets, lunches, everything. We were even next door neighbors for a while." I smile sadly. "But then he began to act differently. By the next year of middle school, he suddenly became obsessed with girls. He went off to pursue his empty popularity and cheap thrills, and I just couldn't adapt. We eventually just drifted, but we haven't spoken to each other since. I have hardly seen him nor talked to him the entirety of high school, except when he would hit on me the first two years. But this year was different. I don't know, I guess this year I wanted something more than a stupid, meaningless pickup line. I wanted an apology for walking out of our friendship. I wanted an explanation. But he couldn't even say anything this year!"

Anger began to rise up inside me.

"I mean, every other year, there is always some sleazy pickup line! And I hate it, you know I do! But at least it's something. At least there is a form of communication, not him completely avoiding the mess he's made!!"

Tears began to well up in my eyes.

Harlow didn't say anything. She never had to. She just embraced me with the warmest heart and the most accepting smile. And I realized, I didn't need Wesley's friendship. I never did.

All I needed was Harlow and I would get through anything.