Chapter 2

The night following that game was not an easy one.

I felt like I let my team down.

Right after the game coach came up to me and said we'll have to talk the next day in his office.

What am I going to do?

*********************

I got absolutely no sleep last night. Thoughts of what coach would say were running through my mind the entire time, and I couldn't push them out of my head.

I slowly got out of bed to shut my alarm off. I dragged myself (well not really drag, more of a sluggish walk) to the bathroom mentally preparing myself for the hideous sight that would reflect on my mirror.

I turned on the light and moaned knowing I was right. I not only felt terrible, but I looked terrible too. 

I tugged my hair up into a ponytail and washed my face before brushing my teeth. Small pieces of my dirty blonde hair fell to frame my face. I looked closer into the mirror and noticed the heavy amount of bags hanging under my blue eyes that still looked red from crying so much last night.

Do I have any mascara?

That would be a nope.

Whelp, guess I'll have to do as this.

I grabbed the cross hanging around my neck on its silver chain and prayed to God that Coach Myers wouldn't murder me today.

I walked back into my room and threw on a t-shirt and some runnings shorts. I pulled my tennis shoes out of the closet and slid them on after my socks. I finally stood and made my way to Coach's office. Wish me luck... Because I will definitely be needing it.

*********************

Walking down the hallway I spotted Tessa exiting her room. She walked up to me and gave me a sympathetic smile.

"Are you about to see Coach?" She asked.

"Mhm. Do you think he's going to kick me off the team? Ugh, I REALLY do not want to go in there. I don't like going in there anyway."

I frowned and dropped my head.

Tessa pulled me into a hug before releasing me and saying, "Maci, you are not getting kicked off. If anything you'll just get yelled at."

I looked at her not amused.

"How is that supposed to make me feel better?!"

She laughed as I punched her in the shoulder.

"Ouch! What was that for?"

"You're supposed to be comforting me!"

"Maci, seriously you will be fine. Come and find me when you get finished."

I nodded my head and passed her to Coach's office. Before knocking on the door I heard him shuffling some papers from inside. I took another gulp and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

I can't do this. I can't do this. Somebody help me!

I finally gathered up all my courage (what's left of it) and walked in.

He looked up to me and smiled. I sat down on the chair facing his desk and looked at my hands fidgeting in my lap.

"How are you doing today?"

I looked at him surprised by his question.

"Um, I could be better. I'm still shooken up from yesterday's game. How are-."