Chapter 5

The training center was conveniently right next to the soccer stadium, Estadio Minerao, where we would be training. It. Was. Huge. 

I almost fell on my back from looking up so high. We strolled through the stadium doors down to the girls' locker room to change into our soccer gear. We all walked back up onto the field and took the sight in. Thousands of seats wrapped around the field with a huge hole at the top that revealed the blue sky.

Coach ordered us to line up on the side of the field. Walking towards us was who I assume to be the men's coach.

With a thick Brazilian accent, he said, "Welcome, ladies, to Estadio Minerao stadium. I hope it's somewhat recognizable because matches of the World Cup 2014 were held here."

I totally forgot about that. Soccer legends played here. Messi, Goetze, our very own Tim Howard, and Klose. OMG I was about to freak out. They played on this field. I was standing on the same field where all those players made history. Deep breaths. Deeeeeep breathsssss.

He paused before speaking again. "This first week of training, you will be with me. On Saturdays you will scrimmage against my men's team just for some good competition. Then next week I will hand you off to my team, and you will each be assigned to the player who has the same position as you. So defenders with defenders, mid-fielders with mid-fielders, etc. understand?"

Echoes of 'yes' filled the stadium as we watched him walk up and down the line.

"Okay then. You girls ready to start?"

We shouted yes again. And with that he blew his whistle to begin the day.

*************************

So today's training consisted of mainly drills. We didn't scrimmage, but I was okay with that. We did sprints, passing drills, sprints, corner-kick drills, sprints, penalty kicks, more sprints, free kicks, and to finish it off, suicides. Those were my least favorite.

To inform you on the outcome of the wager Tessa and I set, she lost. This practice, and the heat, drained all the endurance out of that girl. She was done by the third set of sprints. However, I was not far behind her, so it was a close one. I still won though. And her face was beautiful. She would glare at me and finally stare me down until I confessed she didn't have to give up the bed. Her facial expressions were satisfactory enough.

Tessa and I basically crawled back into our room. Man, were we gonna be sore tomorrow.

"Maci, you can shower first. I literally can't move right now. I need a moment." 

"Are you sure? Should I get the nurse?" 

She lay on her bed looking up at the ceiling. She lifted an arm up and waved me off.

"No-", she panted, "I just need to evaluate why I'm here."

I laughed and searched for a new set of clothes before walking into the bathroom. I was conflicted on what temperature I wanted the water to be. I needed cold because it was so freaking hot, but on the other hand, I needed hot water to soothe my sore muscles. The struggle is real.

I decided to just keep it in between. I slipped off my clothes and stepped into the shower. It felt so good to get clean! 

After switching off the water I wrapped a towel around my body. I rid all the loose water from my hair and pulled my clean clothes on.

I came to see Tessa in the exact same position I left her in before showering.

"Um, are you dead?" I said as I shook her body.

"No, but I kinda wish I was right now. Maci, I can't move my legs. Help me." She pouted.

I helped her stand up and walk to the bathroom.