3: In The Begining...

Ariador; So... imagine empty space with nothing in it. What do you see? Hopefully nothing, right?

Well... as it turns out, on a microscopic level space isn't so empty. Virtual particles can just keep appearing and disappearing sue to quantum fluctuations (otherwise it would defy Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle).

But now you might say there's a lot of difference between just random particles and entire universes spawning into existance, but that's only half true. As for the fact that the chances of so happening are astronomical, in quantum physics even if there is a little bit of a chance of something happening, it will (because of a theorem called superposition).

Now you might think.. 'If it is so then why doesn't the universe just pop out of existance now?' And the answer to that is; that would have only been possible if our universe was a closed system, but our universe is flat (no, the earth is not, but space-time is... it's a flat surface stretching infinitely).

And finally, to counter the balence of energy and matter, there is an equal amount of force working in opposition: gravity. And when you subtract the two numbers together (total gravity and energy matter), you get zero. Our world is literally just a complex form of nothing.

Mckenzie; Although I have a lot of things I'd like to comment on, I will keep my reply brief as there is one in particular I would like to focus on;

Quantum fluctuations is defined as a change in energy at a point in space. So how do you explain the existance of that energy?

Ariador; That's actually the reason they're called virtual particles: they borrow energy from the vacuum, take some time to chill out, and disappear too.

Think of this: blank space remains blank space for a while, then suddenly two charges of +5 and -5 appear out of nothing and then collide with eachother and get annihilated.

Mckenzie; That still doesn't explain where the energy came from.

Ariador; It does: even 0 has a value. When a particle appears out of nothing, it has an equal and opposite particle spawning right beside it.

Mckenzie; So when you say nothing, you don't actually mean nothing. Because energy is something.

Ariador; Quantum physics is a fascinating subject, because here your normal logic won't work. 

Actually what we consider to be nothing is not empy at all, particles keep popping in and out of existance, they're of equal and opposite charge so when they touch each other, they both disappear. This is scientific because: 

Before the particles came into existance, the net energy at that point was 0. As the particles are there now, the net energy (sum of the two charges) of that point is 0. After they annihilate each other the net energy of that point will remain 0.

Technically 'something' is the same as 'nothing', but just a higher note on the musical scale of the universe.

Mckenzie; So you believe there was always energy?

Ariador; Um... not really, it's more like it's being constantly created and destroyed.

Mckenzie; How is it being created?

Ariador; In itself, because that's how quantum mechanics works.

Mckenzie; But if it is being created within itself, then there can never be a time when it literally isn't there, which means energy is always there to some level.

Ariador; Yes, because it is what describes empty space. Without energy, space-time continuum cannot exist, or else it will break Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Correction: it didn't always exist, technically all of this came into existance 13.8 billion years ago, when the Big Bang occurred (yes, I know you don't 'believe' there is enough evidence, but there is) because that is how time came into existence. Before the Big Bang there was no 'time' so things like this couldn't happen. The world has never an infinate void of nothingness, in the begining there was light.

Mckenzie; Ok. So how did the Big Bang happen? Where did it get the energy to explode?

Ariador; There's an equal amount of opposing energy: gravity. Also, it wasn't exactly an explosion, but rather energy stretching in all directions.

Mckenzie; But that doesn't explain where that energy and gravity came from.

Ariador; I already explained: it came out of itself, matter/energy and gravity are opposing forces. The only reason our universe hasn't already ended is because space-time continuum is flat instead of being a closed system.

Mckenzie; We just went in a circle, as I said before;

If it came from istelf, then that means it always existed to some extent because you can't have something come from itself if itself doen't exist.

Ariador; You can in quantum physics, I already told you that your everyday logic doesn't work here.

Mckenzie; You are right, everyday logic doesn't work with this theory. How do you justify having to create your own logic to make the theory work?

Ariador; Because the real world isn't based on human logic.

Mckenzie; Then why does science use the four laws of logic when deciding if a theory works or not?

Ariador; There are many forms of science, with differences between parts. As for quantum physics, it's total madness to mortal minds. The real world is made of virtual particles, things have imaginary mass, particles can be in multiple places at the same time and... *heavy breathing*... anyway, what I'm saying is that quantum physics is different.

Mckenzie; So if you can toss away the laws of science and logic just to make this theory work, why is it any less sensible to believe in a God who doesn't break laws of science or logic?

Ariador; No, you're not tossing away the laws of logic, you're working on a different level of logic.

Well.. the existance of a god can completely obliterate the laws of science, and it's really lazy to say 'god did it!' instead of finding out yourself. In addition to that, there is absolutely no evidence of a god. There's no reason for a god to exist.

Mckenzie; But if the four laws of logic and this 'new level' of logic contradict each other, then they can't both be right.

Ariador; Um.. no, science is a bit complicated subject. I don't think you'll understand.

Mckenzie; I'm going to ignore that comment. I think we've gone as far as this is going to get. Your question/subject..

Ariador; Okay.. just know that that's the end of my discussion, it's a scientific fact and the entire branch of quantum physics is based on it. 'Everyday logic' has no place here.

Thanks for reading! There are more debates to come. In the next few chapters, there will be some where it is only Ariador, some where it's just Mckenzie.

Also, comments are welcome, and if you would like to make suggestions please do. Please don't send any hate-comments to Ariador, as he volunteered a lot of time and energy into this.