14: Judgement.

Last week I was asked about a specific verse in the Bible, which seemed rather confusing and self-contradictory. So this week I am doing a double chapter release in which I discuss that particular verse, and what Biblical judgement looks like.

The Spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one.  ~1 Corinthians 2:15

When I first read this, I was pretty confused really. It sounds almost narcissist. But, as with many confusing verses, when you think about it at a different angle, it makes a lot more sense.

All throughout the gospels, Jesus is constantly calling out the highest moral principles from people. He said that to hate is to murder someone in your heart, and to lust is to commit adultery in your heart.

I believe the same principle applies here. Paul is saying that a Spiritual person should judge all things (tell good from evil, and avoid the evil), but he himself should be judged by no one (meaning that he should be above reproach).

This is entirely Biblical, as we are supposed to judge a person by their fruit (meaning what their actions cause) and not place people in positions they should not be in. Like if you see on someone’s criminal record check that they have a history of molesting children, you do not allow that person to work with children.

It is not hateful, and it is not unkind. It is simply being wise. You don’t have to kick them out (unless they are actively harming people or overstepping boundaries), and you can still talk to them, invite them for supper or whatever.

We are to be kind (within reason, still protect yourself) to people regardless of what they have done in the past or present. This is what Biblical judgement looks like.

If anyone wants me to go more in depth on this, or finds my answer unsatisfactory, please let me know in the comments and I promise you I will do my best to satisfy.