Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Have a ball dress?"

"What?"

"A fancy dress for parties. Do you have one?"

"I might, why? I thought you were looking for homeless people."

"Yes, and I think I know what's happening to them. But we have to sneak into a party, and I can't go without a date."

Molly smiled. "I'd love to. When is it?"

"Tomorrow night. Here's one of Mycroft's credit cards, he lets me use it for cases only, not that I ever really buy anything. Spend as much as you can on the dress and shoes."

"Alright. I'll call Megan, see if she's free."

"Megan?"

"A friend from work. I've been seeing her more often now, and she has a great sense of fashion."

"Get her something too then," Sherlock smiled.

"You just want to cause your brother as much financial turmoil as possible."

"What's wrong with that?"

She just smiled and called Megan.

An hour later, Sherlock was answering the door with a simple, "Come in," as he played his violin.

"Oh, hello," said a woman he assumed to be Megan. He looked her up and down. One big dog, lives with a husband that has a short temper but not physical, hasn't had a haircut in four months, and whose only friend was Molly.

"Hello," he said back, returning to his violin.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, right? Molly's told me a lot about you; I don't believe the papers. You play the violin beautifully."

"Thank you," he stated emotionlessly. "Molly."

"I'm coming!"

He sighed and started playing again. A few seconds later Molly rushed out, holding her purse and dressed almost nicely. "Planning to eat dinner while you're out then?"

"Yes. You met Megan."

He mumbled quietly, "Wish I hadn't."

"What?"

"Nothing. Goodbye."

She eyed him for a moment before walking out, Megan hot on her heels. He pulled the curtain back with the bow and watched. Megan was bent over sideways talking to Molly when they emerged, and stood facing her to talk while they waited for a cab.

He smiled a bit. She was complaining to Molly about him, probably considering his last comment. She then got into the cab and Molly looked up to where she knew Sherlock would be watching and mouthed, "Really?" He just smiled in return and let the curtain drop.