Chapter 51

Chapter 51

Molly had been gone for a month now.

She had found another job, one she hated more than anything, so she knew Sherlock wouldn't find her there. Sabrina was perfectly fine with Molly living in her old flat as long as she stayed away from the tunnel. Molly didn't have a problem with that.

Sherlock knew that she was alright, but he didn't know anything more. And with more and more time passing, with Molly's books and chair and everything else collecting dust, he started to think that the reason for her leaving wasn't because of that man threatening her. If that was it, she would've come back already.

He finally gave into the illusion Molly had crafted; she left because she didn't love him anymore.

Nothing had been off about her behaviour earlier in that day or week, she had left nothing behind giving any clue as to where she would be, and Sherlock had even checked Sabrina's flat on River Street! It looked like Molly had been there, but she was long gone by the time he got there, and there the trail had ended.

"I know her," said Mary as she sat. At Sherlock's glare she stood from Molly and John's chair. She honestly didn't know whose it was anymore. "She wouldn't just leave. She loved you!"

"Past tense."

"Sorry?"

He looked up at her from his chair. "You used the past tense, which means that you believe she doesn't currently love me."

She sighed. "Not what I meant. I meant the day she disappeared. She still loved you then, so what possessed her to leave?" He got up and walked over to his wall, covered in papers to track her movements.

"She knows I'm good. She purposely went to Sabrina's and left before I got there, she quit her job at Bart's from a pay phone, she hasn't turned her mobile on...she knows too much about me. She knows I won't ever quit trying to find her, which is exactly why I have to. She has a spy here, someone telling her everything that's going on." He turned to Mary.

"It isn't me!" she said. He narrowed his eyes, deducing if she was lying or not, before nodding.

"But it is someone. Someone in the mortuary, someone I know..." He smiled. "I know who it is."

Ten minutes later Sherlock was standing around the corner from Clark, Molly's colleague. He was on the phone, so Sherlock listened in.

"Yeah! He's not given up, if anything he's searching harder! But he's not close at all. He still doesn't even know I'm-" he was cut off as Sherlock ripped the phone from his hands.

"Molly," he said.

"Sh-Sherlock? How, uh...I'm sorry." She hung up and he looked at the number. It was a pay phone.

"Tell me what you know," he said to Clark.

"Why? She left for a reason."

"I need to find her. She's in danger."

"No, she's not. She's finally safe, now that she's away from you. You ruined her life."

He was itching to force the answers out, but restrained himself. "I didn't ruin it."

He heard Mycroft's voice now as Clark spoke. "You got too close. You showed that you care about her, and because of that she got hurt. Now she's gone, so that she won't be hurt by you again."

This time he did grab Clark's collar and pushed him back. "Tell me where Molly is, Clark. Now."

"No."

His eyes flashed down to his phone, so Sherlock let him go and picked it up.

Here's my new address. Don't give it to anyone. 374A River Street. Please come by whenever you like; it'll be nice to still see someone I know.

He tossed the phone back before walking out and hailing a cab.