Chapter 2: The Hunt

Chapter 2:

€¥€ The Hunt €¥€

*You may play the song whenever

"Princess Maha, please hold still." Riza complained for about the third time as she struggled to keep my head still.

Rolling my eyes I replied. "Calm down Riza, my head isn't going anywhere but I just can't seem to keep still, I'm so excited!"

"Yes, I'm very well aware of that. It would be much appreciated if you tried to hold it in, it'll make things go so much more faster." I winced as her heavy hand tightened around the new corn roll that was forming at the side of my head.

Since today was the day of the Hunt, it was necessary for me to look as intimidating as possible. My hair was being assembled in the traditional braided ponytail with peacock feathers and bright beads to adorn it, my clothes which were made from the finest and toughest leopard skin consisted of a form fitting skirt and a fastened bossom drape. Golden jewelry adorned my ankles, waist, neck and arms and of course my face was traditionally painted with dots and tiger-like claw marks. I was dressed to kill.

My maids were very anxious also because I am the first Princess to ever attempt something so dangerous and it would be my first time hunting. There was a lot of hustling and bustling going on which i knew would only make my father want to reconsider letting me go but I wasn't having it.

Looking at my hand mirror I saw Riza add the finishing touches. "It's finished, Princess. Shall we prepare for your morning walk?"

Though it was painful, Riza's hand work never fails to amaze me. It looked beautiful. "Riza, this is amazing as always. Thank you and yes, please do get ready."

"Thank you, you humble me Princess." She bowed before turning to gather the other maids to get ready.

Riza has being there since I was born, she even help deliver me from my mother's womb at a tender age of 20. Specially selected to be my personal maid and my second mother, she became my best friend who made sure I realized the importance of being humble and having compassion on others.

Riza, now 38, was a medium sized woman with motherly features accompanied with quick and strong hands. She had short curly dark brown hair, paired with a deep and truthful cat eyes which intimidated people but betrayed her when it comes to hiding her feelings. Her face was youthful but her posture and demeanor defined her as a no-nonsense woman. Perhaps that was why she was well respected.

After my maids announced they were ready, I proceeded outside. Stepping out of my private chambers, I lead the way down the wide marble stairs as my maids followed after me. Slaves bowed as I passed before continuing on with their busy lives. Smiling at everyone, I walked down the familiar path that would lead me through the garden, past the waterfall and then eventually towards Fahim where I would get ready for the big event.

Inhaling the fresh air, I looked around observing the scene. Rabbits were being fed carrots, birds swooped down for worms, and kids challenged each other to see whom could get the most mangoes from the trees.

I felt myself relax as I could hear the waterfall. If it wasn't for the hunt, I would have went for a swim in the cool blue water. I heard the sound of an elephant trumpeting and a familiar voice yelling. As curiosity took over, I sought out to investigate with my maids cautiously following.

"Jumbo! Do not spra.... !!! Bad boy, down you go!! " I heard Prince Taharqa exclaim as he laughed.

There he stood in his breeches laughing as his elephant Jumbo showered him with water under the waterfall.