Chapter 18

Phillip's Pov 

I watched Anne walk alongside Lettie, her blue skirt swinging around her ankles as she walked towards an empty table. Barnum was arranging tickets while was getting some coffee for the four of us. I couldn't get that picture out of my head, her smiling and dancing then her ending up in my arms. She just seemed so happy. So....her. 

Anne had mentioned than she had never had coffee before. She only knew what it smelt like from severing it at the café, but never drank it herself. Lettie cringed the moment she heard this and I was instructed to go buy some while Barnum organised the train tickets. 

I got called up to the counter and gave the order for four large coffees to the barista and told him that we were sitting at the wooden table outside.  I could feel an uneasiness rest in my stomach as I saw him look at Anne, his eyes seemed to widen when he saw her before he quickly scrambled away to get the coffees.

The coffees were delivered alongside a long pastry covered in sugar, I think he called it a churro?, before giving her a not so subtle wink as he left the table. Lettie giggled. Anne lowered her head in a sort of uncomfortable manner, Barnum came back and asked what had happened, and I? I felt sick and angry at the same time though I had no reason to be. 

We all finished our coffees, well most of us. Anne had half of hers before saying she didn't think she could have anymore and she left the churro untouched, just stating she wasn't hungry. Quickly, we made our way towards the train station which was bustling with people left, right and centre. 

"Are you sure our papers are meant to be green? Everyone else's are blue!?" I exclaimed quietly to Barnum who just shrugged me off saying that they should be all good. 

"I doubt the colour makes them ay difference. Papers are papers." Lettie said as her and Barnum attempted to figure out what cart we were in. 

I noticed that Anne was unusually quiet, walking a few steps behind. I paused, pretending to fix my shoe, before standing up as she walked past so we were walking at the same pace. I wrapped my figures around hers, and gave them a reassuring squeeze. I could see a look of shock, confusion, on her face but it was also framed with a small smile and a glimmer of hope in her eyes. 

I didn't say anything, just held her hand as we walked across the busy station. As we made our way closer towards Barnum and Lettie, and further into the crowd, I noticed people whispering and staring. Pointing at our intertwined hands. Anne noticed it not long after. And I let her hand fall to her side. She turned her head, looking me up and down, but I didn't dare to look at her. I could see her hurt and disspoinment at the corner of my eye and that was enough. 

Anne swallowed a lump away before walking quickly to catch up with Barnum and Lettie, keeping her eyes to the ground as we walked. 

The only thing I could think of was why did I let go of her hand?