Chapter 22

Jungah couldn't believe her ears but her heart definitely felt it

Jungah couldn't believe her ears but her heart definitely felt it. The old scars were reopening and new wounds had started to appear. She let out a weak chuckle.

"What are you blabbering about, Kim Namjoon? You just proposed to your girlfriend yesterday."

"I...I'm sorry."

"You are sorry for loving me?" Jungah asked in disbelief. She had enough of all the nonsense that Namjoon was saying.

"Are you trying to play the victim in this relationship?" She deadpanned.

"That's not-"

"Do I look like a joke to you? A puppet who moves only when you pull the strings? A doll without emotions to play?"

"That's not what I meant. She's pregnant, Jungah. I need to take responsibility."

"Then, why are you here, Joon?"

Namjoon couldn't reply and Jungah knew her questions wouldn't be answered. Therefore, in his stead, she decided to deliver the untold truth that wasn't voiced out between them.

"I loved you. You knew that. I knew that. Both of us did but we denied the fact. Why? Because it made you feel better."

"I really didn't mean to hurt you, Jungah. I was an idiot. I shouldn't have made a mistake. I really am."

"You should know the consequences of that mistake. Was it because we were fated to break? No. It was never fate to blame. It was us who handled the future. Each step we took drew out new routes to walk on. And that step you made caused me to drown."

"Jungah..." he called out her name weakly as his throat went dry. His lips chapped and his eyes teary. He was trying to grip onto that thin line of hope which he knew he should've let go from the start.

"I really love you. That time when I was with you, I never lied. None of my feelings back then were fake."

Jungah smiled. It was not because of the words he said but because of the memories they shared. Those beautiful memories that haunted her. They were beautiful but they never felt so.

"I was jealous when I saw you with your girlfriend. Both of you were really cute together and I knew I would never have the chance. I dated a few men but I was never into them because my mind was on you. But then you two had a break and you called me for a drink. I was really happy when you confessed to me after a couple of days. Even if it was just for a moment, I treasured it with all my heart."

Tears had started to roll down by then. Both of them were recalling those memories that left an impact in their hearts. Their hearts swelled with agony as memories played in their heads.

She continued, "And you even proposed to me inside the Ferris Wheel. Oh how wonderful it was when the fireworks exploded in the sky and we kissed under the lovely night sky."

Her voice had cracked and so did Namjoon's heart.

"But I received those photos from your girlfriend saying that you were back with her and that I should back off. I thought it was just some sort of prank and that she was just being jealous of us. H-however, I saw you kissing her in your office on the day of our anniversary. I tried to convince myself that it was just her forcing herself onto you. But... you..."

She didn't dare to finish her sentence. It was hurt so much and she tried to wipe the tears away but her eyes were getting blurry as she continued crying.

"Jungah, I'm sorry. I really am," he pulled her into a hug.

Jungah shook her head and pushed him away. She stared into his eyes.

"Please don't confuse yourself, Joon. Don't apologise. I don't need your apology now. I needed it back then. Now, it's no use. My heart no longer beats for you when I see your face. Instead, it feels like the Cupid's arrow that was shot into my heart had been pushed forcefully until it bleeds profusely."

She cleared her throat and tried to maintain her composure despite wanting to faint. She inhaled deeply and grabbed his collar.

"As a friend, I suggest you to take care of yourself and your girlfriend. Don't make such mistake again as it will just hurt everyone involved."

She tiptoed and placed her lips against him for one last time. It still felt the same no matter how long it had been. She was still pulled into the state of euphoria as her lips moved against his.

However, she wondered why Yoongi's face appeared when she closed her eyes.

She broke the kiss and brushed the dust off his collar. She neatened the suit and adjusted his tie properly just like she did every morning when they were together.

With the sweetest smile she could give, she looked up at Namjoon.

"Thank you for everything, Joon. Farewell, my love."

She walked past him without turning back. It was his last chance to grab her hand. But he didn't. He let go of the string of hope because it would only hurt both of them in the end.

After all, their hearts no longer danced in the same rhythm.

••••••••••••••••••<>••••••••••••••••••

Yoongi restlessly walked to and fro in Seokjin's apartment. He didn't wish to return back home as he had a bad feeling. Seokjin's house was nearer to the Jeon's residence so he decided to spend the night there.

Getting annoyed by how worked out the other was being, Seokjin pointed out the obvious.

"Aren't you being too worried for someone who's not in a relationship with you?"

Yoongi braked and glanced at Seokjin in shock. It was as if the other just realised the fact that Seokjin had told. Seokjin mentally slapped himself after seeing his expression.

"If you are that worried, why don't you call her?"

Yoongi settled down on the couch where Seokjin was sitting and sighed.

"Did you think I haven't done that?" Yoongi groaned.

"And?"

"The number you've dialed is currently unavailable. Please leave a voice message," Yoongi imitated the automatic reply with a roll of eyes.

"What about visiting her house?"

"I don't want to be a burden."

"But you are already one."

Yoongi shot a piercing glare at Seokjin who remained unaffected.

"Is this how love feels?" Yoongi directed the question to his friend, "Being jealous of seeing her talk to here friend or her ex. Not wanting to leave her even a slight bit. Regretting after every goodbyes and having butterflies fluttering in my stomach after every kisses."

"Do you even realise what you are saying? You know yourself the best, Yoongi. It's not like it's the first time you've fallen in love."

Seokjin took a glimpse at the blonde male to study his expression before continuing his sentence.

"So, why are you not confessing yet?"

"Because I know..," he took a pause and closed his eyes. He ran his fingers through his hair and let out a sigh.

With a heavy heart, he cracked a small smile.

"I know I'll be rejected."