Chapter 6: Stargazing With Prime

I sat inside with my arms crossed and a neutral expression on my face that read, 'I feel numb again.'

Uncle Cade was inside, and I'll admit, him finding out about Shane WAS pretty funny!

"And you knew about this f-for HOW long Gabby?!" He exclaimed.

"I dunno. Since I moved in with you guys, I guess..."

"And you never told me WHY?!"

"You never asked."

He sputtered for a few moments, then blurted out,

"And take off that compass! We don't know if it's... It's radioactive or not!"

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

"Hold it Uncle Cade!" I snapped to. "Oooh no. I am NOT about to let you have my compass! No, no, no, no! This thing saved my life back there! And it saved our butts too-"

"If you hadn't screamed we wouldn't BE in this mess!" Tessa exclaimed, frustrated.

"If I hadn't you and I would be DEAD TESSA!" I yelled, angry now.

"And that.... That monster! How can we trust him?!"

"He's one if the good guys!"

"What?!"

I ran over to my backpack (which I retrieved from Optimus) and pulled out my worn copy of 'Codename Hero'. "This told me!"

"Isn't that book banned?" Shane outright asked.

"Well yeah but-"

"Gabby! What the hell are you doing with that thing?! How long have you even- gah! Just... Throw it out right now!"

"NO way Uncle Cade! I'm not gonna!"

"Gabby!"

"I said no!"

"Gabriela!"

"No!"

Uncle Cade got this look and stood, reaching for it-

"THIS WAS THE LAST THING MOM EVER GAVE ME BEFORE THE ATTACK ON CHICAGO! I NEED IT!"

He froze, and drew his hand back.

".... Gabby I didn't mean to..."

"Y-yeah. Sure. They're just monsters right? You can't trust them!" I turned and ran outside.

"Gabby! GABBY!" Uncle Cade called after me. I ran about a yard away and sat in the desert dust and cried.

....

It was midnight and it was getting cold. Uncle Cade had given up convincing me to come inside and decided to freeze me out.

"Gabby?" Optimus walked up to me. "Are you well?"

"I... I guess."

"What troubles you?"

"T-the fact that... E-everyone thinks I'm crazy f-for trusting you." She sniffled. "They're my family. I-I thought Uncle Cade... I... Never mind."

"You have a processor disease, I believe you mentioned?"

"Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD, so yea."

He was quiet for a moment. "How severe?"

"If I don't take my medication, I'll be pretty angry pretty fast. And have lots and lots of nightmares and 'daytime flashbacks'."

"Do you have it?"

"Kinda..."

"Kind-a?"

"I have enough to last me awhile. At least a few days."