surprise

trixie

i woke up on the morning of my birthday (friday) like it was any other day. i got dressed for school, did my makeup, my stepdad pushed me out of the way at breakfast, my mom kissed my forehead and gave me pancakes to eat in my room, and sam cried about going to school.

i put my school stuff in my bag, hid my dolls in my wardrobe, and headed out the back door to meet katya at the bus stop near her house.

"hey, princess." katya grinned widely.
"princess?"
"yeah." she blushed.
"i like that." i laughed.
"good."
and she held my hand and we walked for 20 minutes in a comfortable silence until we got to school.

"you look really nice today." she said. she messed with my pink hair and i slapped her hand away and fixed it.
"thanks." i smiled. "you do too."
"shut up." she nudged me and we went to first lesson.

in art class, i was super distracted by katya. she just looked...amazing. she wasn't wearing makeup, she never did, unlike me. her eyes were even more blue than usual. her skin was so smooth.
"trix, are you drawing me?"
"what?" i looked down at my sheet of watercolor paper. "oh. yeah i guess i am."
she smiled and laughed a little, showing me her abstract piece of my face, with crazy big lashes and my eyes dropping, harsh contour lines on my cheeks and nose.
"that's so beautiful."
"thanks." her face went red.

at lunch, willam came running as she always did, this time hugging me tight.
"i don't understand how you run in those shoes."
"they're cute right? i couldn't get the miu mius because my dad wouldn't buy 'em, but he let me get the guccis so, no complaints."
i rolled my eyes and laughed at her rich girl problems.
"i started watching this show." katya smiled.
"yeah?"
"yeah, it's called queer eye."
"you're so gay." willam laughed.
"i'm literally not at all."
"liar." she grinned.

"you look cute today, trix." she pulled at my cheap dollar store sweater. i thanked her quietly.

i wasn't really surprised that willam and my family didn't say anything about my birthday. but katya hadn't. and that hurt. did she forget?

we were quiet. it was borderline awkward. not awkward enough for anyone to do anything about it, that is until kim chi dragged me off and the two left on the table burst out laughing.

she handed me a gift bag. i looked inside and saw a BUNCH of makeup. all sugarpill, of course.

"oh my god, kim."
"amy helped me pick your colors. kim chi is my personal favourite." she showed me a lilac liquid lipstick named after herself.
"you're such a dork." i laughed. i pulled her into a hug and she almost fell over. "thank you."
"no problem. you're one of my best friends, i had to. go find pearl, she has something for you too."
"oh, wow." i laughed, and she pointed me in the direction of pearl.

she was sat with a girl with black hair and a deep crimson lipstick. her waist was the size of my thigh. fuck.

"trixie!" pearl smiled. i sat on their table.
"hey, i'm violet."
"trixie." i shook her hand.
"cute."
"thanks." i gave her a small grin. pearl rolled her eyes at my inability to make conversation.
"anywayyyy, here." she passed me a blue box with a pink bow. i opened it carefully as to not ruin the ribbon, and inside i saw a photo, framed in silver.
it was a picture of us and katya, wearing matching pink disney world t-shirts. i was standing in the middle, katya and pearl rolling their eyes either side of me. i looked happy. it was rare.
"thank you so much, pearl."
"it's whatever." she shrugged, but i knew she cared. "now go run back to your girlfriend."

"katya's not my girlfriend." is what i wanted to say. but if i said it, it'd become too real.

i walked away.

____
word count: 680
grrrr i want to hug her why isn't katya saying happy birthday fuck my life