Chapter Six: Winter Solstice

We were flying for a while, a few days later when Katara started speaking her mind. "Those clouds look so soft don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land on a big soft cottony heap."

"Maybe you should give it a try." Sokka mockingly suggested.

"You're hilarious." She replied.

"I'll try it!" Aang said, standing up and jumping down on his glider while laughing.

"Turns out clouds are made of water." Aang said, landing back on Appa as he was drenched. He took a deep breath and air bended all of it off, while scaring Momo in the process.

"Hey what is that?" Katara asked, pointing at a burnt part of a forest.

"It's like a scar." Sokka stated as we all looked in a somber mood.

"Listen. It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere." Aang said as we walked through the waste land.

"Gyawa, are you okay?" Katara asked as she saw I walked away from them with my fist clenched.

"Fire nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-"

"Shh." Katara shhed Sokka as he about to shout.

"What I'm not aloud to be angry?" He asked in a whisper scream tone.

I could hear Katara point to me. I held my staff tight in my hand, I couldn't help but feel all this was my fault. "Why would I let this happen!" I said scolded myself.

"Gyawa you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you." Katara replied, trying to make me feel better but it only made me furious.

"Yes it does! It the Avatar's duty to protect all life. And I don't know anything!" I shouted as I closed my eyes and sat down.

"That's why we're going to the North Pole to find you a teacher." Katara said, still trying to make me feel better.

"But there's no one who can teach me how to be the Avatar." I bitterly replied putting my head down.

"Didn't you say your past lives could help you?" Aang asked.

"Yeah, Roku." I replied still holding my staff tight.

"The Avatar before you? But he been dead over a hundred years ago how are you supposed to learn from him?" Sokka asked not making my day any easier.

"I don't know."

                             ~*~

"Hey Gyawa are you ready to be cheered up?" Aang asked me, I just sighed and looked the other way.

Just then he threw an acorn at my head.

"How is that cheering me up?!" I snapped as I stood up.

"Cheered me up." Sokka scoffed, I turned my head to him and he froze in intimidation.

Aang threw another but at Sokka this time. "Yeah I probably deserve that." He replied as he scratched his hit spot.

"These acorns are everywhere, Gyawa. That means the forest will grow back, every one of these will be a strong oak tree some day. And all the birds and animals that lived here will come back." Aang explained but that wasn't my concern, my concern was all the lives lost.

"Thanks Aang." I replied just to make him feel better.

"Hey who are you?" Sokka asked as an old man walked up with a hood on.