Chapter 4 ~ Old memories

"Levi wait!" I chased out the door for him, leaving Jake behind in my room. Levi was walking down the hallway with his head down. I caught up to him and grabbed his wrist. "I can explain."

"What's there to explain, Emma? You two obviously have feelings for each other and just decided to make it official." He stated and I just stood there. Is that really how he feels? Does he still have feelings for me?

"I'm... I'm sorry." I said, looking down.

"For what? You can do what you want." He stated plainly and started to walk away.

"Wait!" I called out after him again.

"What?" He said like he was ready to get out of the situation.

"It hasn't really been that long. Please don't think that I just tossed you away so quickly." I tried to explain to him. He was silent for a moment.

"Right." He said and walked away. It wasn't sarcastic, it was like he actually did believe it. I stood there silent. What should I do?

"Hey, everything alright?" Jake asked from behind me. I took a deep breath.

"Yeah." I said. "Let's just go."

Levi's POV

I just barely made it to my office before my emotions took ahold of me. I weakly closed the door and slid down the wall.

Why? Why did this have to happen? A lone tear slid down mg cheek. I was so happy to see them, especially Emma, but would it have been better if they had never come back in the first place...? I don't know.

There was a knock on my door but I didn't feel like answering it. I hugged my knees to my chest and buried my head in them, hoping to drown out the world. The knock sounded again. "Levi? I'm coming in." Erwin's voice came from the other side of the door. Please... not now...

"Did you ever look through-" His voice was cut off once he entered through the door. "Levi what's wrong?" I didn't answer. I heard him crouch down to my level. "Is it something to do with Emma?" Why are you always so right?

"They're... they're together..." I said softly.

"What?" He asked.

"Emma and Jake... they're dating." I said.

"Oh..." Erwin said after a moment. "You still have feelings for her don't you?" I weakly nodded. "Levi look at me." I slowly lifted my head to look at him. "Why don't you just tell Emma how you feel."

"Because I don't want to ruin their relationship." I replied honestly. "If they really do love each other-"

"You should still tell her. I think it's for the best." Erwin put a hand on my shoulder. I looked off to the side. Is it really though? Probably.

"Thanks." I replied quietly.

"Dinner will be ready soon. You should come." He said and walked out.

Emma's POV

I sat in the mess hall, not really eating my food, just picking at it. I couldn't stop thinking about Levi.

What should I do? I'm with Jake now and he helped me heal from mine and Levi's breakup, but was that the only thing he helped me with? Did my feelings for Levi actually ever leave? To be honest, I don't know. When I saw him today, something just sparked inside of me. Like the same way I felt about him six months ago. I just don't know...

"Are you okay, Emma? You need to eat." Jake's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, um, yeah... I'm just not that hungry." I said.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Yeah, um... I guess I'm just too excited to be here." I smiled and tried to cover up. "I'm just gonna go back to my room." I went and dumped my tray and headed back to my room, but not before getting pulled aside first.