-2-

"Hey, mom, I'm home!" I called out. After my first day working at Aquasky in at least a school years' worth of time, I felt spent. 

"Kaia," she greeted me at the door, wiping her hands on her apron. "I've been cooking dinner. Why are you home so late?"

I shrugged. "You know Ian. He treated me out to some ice cream after the shop closed."

"How was working at Aquasky again?" she asked, since it was my steady summer job after I graduated high school. My mother had wanted me to get a real job, but I, like I had mentioned to Ian, did not want to be tied down so soon. I was still young, and there were so many opportunities for me that I didn't want to settle immediately.

"Familiar," I responded, helping my mother by setting up the dinner table. "It lost its smell, though."

My mother chuckled at that. "Yes, of course. You love the smell of the wood there."

"It smells so... normal now," I commented, wrinkling my nose.

"Yes, and that is just so bad," she said sarcastically.

I shot her a look before shaking my head in amusement. After shuffling around in silence, she brought out a huge plate of barbeque ribs and a pot of clam chowder. "What's the occasion?" I queried.

"Your sister," she said simply before sighing. "She's been having a lot of trouble. It's rough for her."

I nodded in agreement.

"She loves ribs and clam chowder. I was hoping she'd come down for dinner," my mother said sadly.

"I'd bring a plate up for her. I'm sure she'll appreciate what you did for her. Besides, I love ribs and clam chowder too," I claimed, pulling my lips into a weak smile that showed my teeth.

My mother nodded, so I grabbed an extra plate and cut a few ribs, moving it from the middle of the table to the plate for Kaitlyn. Then, I poured some clam chowder into a bowl before bringing both items and silverware upstairs for my sister.

Setting the food aside, I gently knocked on her door. She didn't respond, but I barged into anyway, opening the door roughly and grabbing the two items before setting them on her desk.

"Eat," I demanded immediately. Kaitlyn was holed on her bed, her knees hugged to her chest and her eyes looking at me lifelessly. The eye bags below her eyes and the black circles around her eyes demonstrated her lack of sleep, which made my heart tug. She sighed tenderly. "Look, you're going to have to eat, alright?" I repeated, softer this time. I placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed lightly.

"Fine," she breathed out, her eyes lighting up slightly at the sight of her favorite food. "Say thanks to mom for me."

Her voice sounded so dead it sent a shiver through me. "Come to Aquasky tomorrow."

She looked up at me curiously. "Why?"

"You need to get out of this hell hole."

Kaitlyn looked away. "This hell hole is what makes me feel good right now."

"This is not feeling good," I demanded, pushing her blankets away. "Eventually, you're going to have to move on, Kaitlyn, and maybe working at Aquasky is really what you need right now. Baby steps."

"Kaia," she sighed my name. "I know you're trying to help but—"

"You're going, and that's final. Besides, I know Ian misses you."

Her eyes softened at the mention of her baby cousin, who was about two years younger than her. Ian pretended to hate being called the "baby cousin" by Kaitlyn, but I knew that he secretly enjoyed it. "Fine. I'll go, but if anything happens, I can't promise you I will again."